Database websites are obsolete. They require an internet connection, knowledge of where you're currently exploring, endless loops to gain higher access and the admins wield all the locations. Bandonet is a P2P sharing application that allows members to share their digital content. There is no one server, instead each machine operates as a node. This means content cannot be shut down or forcibly removed.
May 26, 2021 - We have enough beta-testers, thank you.
- Corrected bug where older thumbnails not purged
- Content creators are awarded $5 (approx.) per location in Bitcoin. Manual approval for the first 10 entries.
- Syncing working 100%
- Ethereum cryptocurrency (beta testing)
- User settings to allocate disk space
- 28 nodes and 2 master nodes
Version 0.2.5 Note
We are now up to 14 nodes and there is minimal load time for requesting content. Peter has a protype in place for awarding Bitcoin for new galleries. The fundage for the coins is paid out from our Shakepay wallet. It contains fiat from the prior years Adsense revenue. At this time we are funded for a potential 2 years of expected payouts. User feedback is always welcomed.
- corrected bug in which updates wouldn't occur
- enabled ability to disable data updates and use wifi only
- find other explorers in your area on map (can be set to private)
- offline mode (no internet required)
- allow other members to 'tip' you Bitcoin (expected completion: end of May 2021)
- private messaging (+)
- search nearby locations on visual map
- add photos to existing locations
- user comments
- democratic vote system ensures decisions to change content (ex. purge entry) are supported
- earn Bitcoin for every location or gallery added (This is a work in process. I was originally going to create a cryptocurrency for this application however I feel it's monetary value would be best left to existing BTC blockchain. BTC comes from the app developer and is supported through ads on other domains)
- new location information will be added manually as it appears on social media
- block person feature
Internet connection required for private messaging and finding nearby friends, everything else works in offline mode.
- Download and install the package. Currently Windows, Android and iOS are supported. A Mac version is in development.
- Create a user account. No personal identifying information is required. If you have a BTC address, enter it under the payment section.
- Allow the application to sync with other nodes. Depending on the amount of storage space this may take between a few minutes to a few hours. Mobile devices should use the 'tiny' mode which will update only the internal database and thumbnails. Laptop and desktop users should use the 'full' mode which will download the entire database. For best results, select the 'Auto' mode. This will allocate approximately 5% of your available disk space and display thumbnails. When internet connectivity is available, full images will be cached to your node.
Currently the database is 34 gigs. No database software is required and no programming knowledge is necessary. Bandonet is the only application. No runtime libraries are required.
If disk space is an issue, Bandonet will load only the newest images. Ideally an internet connection is required for optimal mobile device use. Disk allocation can be changed under the >Settings< menu.
- Once the sync is complete, you'll be able to access the main menu. The map will display your current location (requires permission to be granted to the application) and surrounding locations.
FAQ Q: What prevents people from abusing this system? A: A new entry is checked against existing GPS records. If it matches, it is merged. It it's unique, it stands alone. Either way, an entry requires at least 5 votes to be added. Voting power increases as more of your own content is voted into the system. This ensures no one person can control the database. All users have equal power.
Q: What happens if someone uploads a sensitive location and the community feels it should be kept private? A: There are no 'rules' or guides to follow. However to prevent 80 outhouses and 44 barns from being added daily, content from members who haven't been upvoted 5 times, goes into a separate area. It won't dilute the main content.
Q: So I could upload good content and then spam the database with junk? A: There are people who would try to foul this system, undoubtedly. If enough power voters submit downvotes, the content is purged. I won't go into detail how the system works exactly. Suffice to say it has to be able to handle all possible scenarios in an environment where there is no administrator.
Q: Can Bandonet be shut down? A: The program uses a peer to peer methodology. The connection port could be blocked by your ISP, but as is the case with other peer to peer applications this is not likely. Every machines hosts some amount of content. Think of it in the same way as Napster used to operate.
Q: How is Bitcoin allocated? A: At some point this will be added to a future release. Currently there is only an option to enter your BTC wallet address. Payments are manually issued. We are working on the next update. We'd like to keep the size of the program to a minimum for the mobile users.
Q: Why is syncing so slow? A: There are currently 8 nodes, the more people who join, the quicker the network becomes.
Bandonet is only in it's first release which is beta. There will be bug reports, there may be crashes. It works without issue on Windows 7, 8 and 10. It also works on Android devices. We are currently beta testing iOS version.
Please note Bandonet is currently on an INVITE ONLY basic as we seek to remove bugs and issue patches. When new updates are available, you'll have the ability to download them or to wait. Full source code will be made available before the final launch and available for review.
Invitation requests: firstname.lastname@example.org
Developer: P. Novikov Content development: TWP