This is a template for building .exe installers for Omnis Studio-based projects on Windows using Caphyon's Advanced Installer.
- Git for Windows
- Your Omnis Studio-based application
- Advanced Installer Professional 15.1 or later
- A code signing certificate
This example is built against Omnis Studio 10.0 but should work with any recent version of Omnis Studio.
Clone the template
Download or clone a copy of this repository. For example, run this command in the Git Bash app to clone a copy of the project to a
omnis-aip folder in
git clone https://github.com/barkingfoodog/omnis-aip.git ~/Documents/omnis-aip
There are three directories in the
omnis-aip directory, each with their own README files:
Copy the appropriate files from the Omnis runtime and your own application into these folders. See the individual README files more more details. The installer will install architecture-specific files on 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) machines, so ensure any files in the
x86 directory has a counterpart in
x64 and vice-versa.
Customize the installer
template.aip file to match your application. Open this file with Advanced Installer and edit these settings:
- Product Details -> Product Details -> Name
- Product Details -> Product Details -> Version
- Product Details -> Product Details -> Publisher
- Digital Signature -> Software Published Certificate -> Use from Personal certificate store -> Your certificate
- Install Parameters -> Properties -> AppDataName -> Enter the folder under
%LOCALAPPDATA%that will contain your application
- Builds -> Output -> MSI name -> A name for the embedded msi
- Builds -> Output -> EXE -> A name for the exe installer
Update the product codes
Under Product Details -> Product IDs generate a new Product Code and Upgrade Code. This should be done once for each project.
You can configure the minimum memory, screen resolution, and supported operating systems on which this installer will run:
- Launch Conditions -> Supported Operating Systems
- Launch Conditions -> System Requirements -> Minimum Physical Memory
- Launch Conditions -> System Requirements -> Minimum Screen Resolution
license.rtf to add your own license agreement that will be displayed during installation.
Building a package
Open your .aip file with Advanced Installer. Click Home in the ribbon and click -> Build.
Adjust the path to Advanced Installer to point to your installed version.
"C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 15.1\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /build "[path to your .aip]"
Advanced Installer can automatically sign your application and the installer using a puchased code signing certificate. Sectigo sells code signing certificates. Follow their guide to generate and install the certificate on the machine where you will build you installer. Once installed, the certificate will be available under Digital Signature -> Software Published Certificate -> Use from Personal certificate store.
Pull requests are most welcome!