advanced dynamic window manager
Clone or download
Fetching latest commit…
Cannot retrieve the latest commit at this time.
Type Name Latest commit message Commit time
Failed to load latest commit information.
data forgot to install window.xbm Nov 11, 2017
doc document standard options and exit status May 31, 2018
src use actual icon width and height Oct 6, 2018
.gitignore add a type Nov 27, 2017
AUTHORS update release files Oct 6, 2018
ChangeLog update release files Oct 6, 2018
INSTALL new install file Oct 21, 2017
NEWS update release files Oct 6, 2018
NOTES proper asciidoc comment Oct 1, 2017
README.echinus tweak README Oct 1, 2017
THANKS big rename Feb 6, 2014
TODO add more todos Sep 20, 2018 update release files Oct 6, 2018 enable debug May 28, 2018 parallel distcheck Sep 26, 2017



Package adwm-0.7.5 was released under GPLv3 license 2018-10-06.

This was originally a fork of Echinus which in turn was a fork of dwm(1), and borrows concepts from velox(1), awesome(1), spectrwm(1) and wmii(1). The source for adwm is hosted on GitHub. What it includes is a full rewrite with significant updates and additions resulting in full EWMH (NetwM), WMH (WinWM), MWMH (CDE/Motif), ICCCM 2.0 compliance and support.


This is the adwm-0.7.5 package, released 2018-10-06. This release, and the latest version, can be obtained from GitHub, using a command such as:

$> git clone

Please see the NEWS file for release notes and history of user visible changes for the current version, and the ChangeLog file for a more detailed history of implementation changes. The TODO file lists features not yet implemented and other outstanding items.

The file COMPLIANCE lists the current state of EWMH/ICCCM compliance.

Please see the INSTALL file for installation instructions.

When working from git(1), please use this file. An abbreviated installation procedure that works for most applications appears below.

echinus(1) and dwm(1) were published under the MIT/X Consortium License that can be found in the file LICENSE. As over 90% of the source file lines have been supplied or replaced and the remaining 10% is not subject to copyright. This release is published under GPLv3. Please see the license in the file COPYING.

Quick Start

The quickest and easiest way to get adwm up and running is to run the following commands:

$> git clone
$> cd adwm
$> ./
$> ./configure
$> make
$> make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install

This will configure, compile and install adwm the quickest. For those who like to spend the extra 15 seconds reading ./configure --help, some compile time options can be turned on and off before the build.

For general information on GNU's ./configure, see the file INSTALL.


Read the manual page after installation:

man adwm


Following are some of the features provided by adwm(1) not provided by similar window managers:


  • full NetWM/EWMH, WinWM/WMH (gnome), OSF/Motif and ICCCM 2.0 compliance;
  • full support for ICCCM 2.0 client and global modality;
  • full RANDR and Xinerama compliance with full support for multi-head setups;
  • full support for Window Maker dock applications in floating and tiling modes;
  • window manager based auto-hide for panels and docks (struts);
  • three focus models: click-to-focus, sloppy and all-sloppy;
  • soon to come X11R6 session management;
  • very wide array of available key-binding actions;
  • key-binding defaults consistent with a wide array of light-weight and popular window managers.

Views, Workspaces and Desktops:

  • view/tag based workspaces and desktops;
  • scroll wheel support for switching desktops;
  • key bindings for switching desktops observes EMWH desktop layout.

Floating/stacking mode:

  • smart cascading placement algorithm;
  • window decorations: title bar, resize grips, wide array of configurable buttons.;
  • themed buttons include hovered, toggled, pressed, focused and unfocused pixmaps.;
  • multiple mouse actions per title bar button based on mouse button pressed.;
  • separate click and click-drag actions for title bar, borders and grips.;
  • windows can snap to other windows and workspace/monitor boundaries.;
  • key bindings for moving and resizing windows without using the mouse.
  • drop shadowed XFT text in title bars, with separate color selection for active and inactive windows;
  • dragging of windows between monitor;
  • metacity(1)-like drag-to-left, -right or -top functions to optimize single-desktop operation.

Tiling modes:

  • per-monitor tiling layouts for multi-head setups;
  • multiple tiling modes including master/stacking, monocle and grid (but, no dwindle or centered-master modes, yet);
  • adjustable window borders and inter-window margins;
  • one pixel open space around dynamic desktop area for clicking on the root window in tiled modes;
  • ability to drag-and-swap windows in tiling layouts (ala awesome(1), wmii(1) and spectrwm(1));


Report issues on GitHub here.