E-Maj: logs and rollbacks table updates
This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
The main goals of E-Maj are:
- log updates performed on one or several sets of tables.
- cancel these updates if needed, and reset a tables set to a predefined stable state.
In development environments, it brings a good help in testing application, providing an easy way to rollback all updates generated by programs execution, and replay these processings as many times as needed.
In production environments, it brings a good solution to:
- keep an history of updates performed on tables to examine them in case of problem
- set inter-batch savepoints on group of tables,
- easily "restore" this group of tables at a stable state, without being obliged to stop the cluster,
- handle several savepoints during batch windows, each of them been usable at any time as "restore point".
It brings a good alternative to the management of several database disk images.
In both environments, being able to examine the history of updates performed on tables can be very helpful in debugging work or for any other purposes.
How to install and use E-Maj
E-Maj can be installed using the usual method for postgres extensions (ie. CREATE EXTENSION emaj;).
The documentation contains all the detailled information needed to install and use E-Maj.
E-Maj web GUI
Two web GUI tools are available to bring a user friendly E-Maj administration:
- a plug-in for phpPgAdmin that takes benefit from the plugin architecture brought by phpPgAdmin 5.1+,
- a stand alone php application, named Emaj_web.
Both tools share the same functionalities regarding the E-Maj usage.
The phpPgAdmin plugin is available on github.
Emaj_web is also available on github.
Their installation and usage are also described in the documentation.
For additional support or bug report, please contact Philippe BEAUDOIN (phb emaj free fr).
Any feedback is welcome, even to just notice you use and appreciate E-Maj ;-)
E-Maj is also available on github (https://github.com/beaud76/emaj)