Belfast Ruby 2014
Belfast Ruby is community of aspiring and experienced developers in Belfast, Northern Ireland passionate about Ruby and Rails. We hold monthly meetups which are open to everyone.
Visit the website - belfastruby.com
##Open Sourced - Get Involved
This website is open sourced so that the community can get involved in its development and contribute whatever they can. Please refer to the GitHub Issues to view a list of bugs or suggested improvements. Feel free to work on these, then when you've committed the changes send a pull request or attach it to the related issue so we can merge it in.
Ideas for Features or Improvements
We're open to ideas about improving the Belfast Ruby website. Here's a couple ideas we've come up with so far. Add your own or work on bringing these ideas to life.
- Update the resources page with Ruby related links that you find useful
- Have a section for links to each speaker's slides/companion notes
- Pull in related Instagram or Flickr images for each meetup
Even if you aren't interested in contributing code, we'd love if you could suggest any ideas for improvements or let us know via GitHub Issue if you run into any bugs.
How to Contribute
- Clone this repository.
- Follow the instructions below for information about how to get the website up and running locally.
- Let us know you’re working on something by commenting on an existing GitHub Issue, or creating a new one with details about what you plan to do. This will be the location to discuss the feature and get feedback.
- When working on changes locally, create a new branch for your changes to live.
- When you’re ready to push up your changes, commit your code and attach a pull request to the related GitHub Issue. Later we’ll review your changes before merging in your code.
If you’re new to Git and GitHub, this might sound a bit confusing, but it’s easy once you know how. Refer to this guide for more guidance on how to best work on a GitHub project.
Here's what you need to run the website locally.
This will install all gems required to run the app.
gem install bundler cd belfastruby-website bundle install
Run site locally
This site is built on Jekyll. To run the site in your browser locally and watch for any changes made use:
jekyll serve --watch
Please refer to Jekyll's documentation for help with setting it up http://jekyllrb.com/docs/home/
To use sass, Compass is being used. Edit scss within sass folder, do not edit the css files directly. To watch scss files for changes:
bundle exec compass watch