An incomplete open source and interesting take on an iPad client for reddit.
It is licensed under the Apache Software License Version 2.0.
I am accepting pull requests. If the client ever comes to a complete state I will releaes it for free on the App Store under the AlterTap account. No profits will be made by me. This is entirely a community effort.
It's really simple. You just need Xcode. Clone the repository somewhere and, open Readdit/Readdit.xcodeproj and run in the simulator to get started quickly.
What does it do? (so far)
- Fully integrated with your reddit account. Subscribe and unsubscribe from reddits. (tap the magnifying glass on the subreddits listing)
- "Pile" which is sort of like opening an interesting link in a background tab. It will save and pre-cache your links in a in the background for later viewing. Swipe over an item in the list to put it in the pile.
- "Magazine" which is sort of like an endlessly scrolling wall of images that link to reddit stories. Great for viewing photograph-heavy reddits.
What does it need?
Discussion for the development of this client will occur on our own subreddit here:
Here are some ideas to get started with:
- "Magazine" needs a code refresh. It's a bit craggy and there are some decent open source grid views that can be used now. It's currently a sideways table view (hah!)
- Comments! One of the best thing about reddit and it's not here!
- Profile interface for users. It would be neat to be able to view an overview of a user in the app.
- An interesting way to put things in the pile. For instance, a drawer could slide out from underneath the item list on swipe, the item drops into the drawer then it closes. Just an idea.
- iPhone version. This is iOS, and it could be easily ported to work fine on the iPhone.
- Bug fixes, plugging memory leaks, and general polish.
- Whatever you want! It's bloody open source.
Here is what it looks like: