Open-Source Alternatives to Proprietary Enterprise Software
A collaborative list of open-source alternatives to typical government and enterprise software needs
Additions? Corrections? Improvements? Please feel free to fork this project and send a pull request.
How to Contribute
Editing Existing Pages
Level of knowledge necessary: Basic HTML
- Fork the project by clicking "fork" in the top-right corner (you'll need a GitHub account first)
- Navigate to the section you want to edit, they are in folders by category
- Click edit file (or clone and edit on your computer)
- Click save (or commit and push)
- Click pull requests on the top of the page to submit a pull request
- Follow the on-screen instructions; your changes will appear shortly
Adding a New Section
Level of knowledge necessary: intermediate HTML, possibly some knowledge of git
- Follow step 1 above.
- Each section is grouped into catgories. If the category you want exists, navigate to the folder (if you need to create a new category, you'll need to clone the repository to your computer and create the folder locally)
- Follow the format of one of the other sections. You'll need a YAML text header with the name, title, group, and slug, and one or more table rows. The first column is the open-source application name, the second is the proprietary product, the third is comments, and the fourth is real-world usage.
- Follow steps 4-6 as above to submit a push request
- Converted project to Jekyll to make it easier for others to contribute
- Categories and sub-categories now sorted alphabetically
- Converted from PDF to HTML (Bootstrap)
- Converted Bit.ly links to true links, moved to superscript reference, added title attributes
- No longer using the queen's english
- Corrected typos and spelling