A lightweight and skeletal WordPress boilerplate theme for HTML5 and beyond. There's lots of these out there but most themes include lots of bloat and files which you might not necessarily need, so we thought we would create our own which is great as a starting point with powerful features to encourage rapid development for most projects.
- Reset, normalisation and base font/form styles
- Scss Boilerplate - semantically named files, organised by folders, all compiled into a single file
- Semantic use of HTML5 elements, includes Google HTML5 shiv
- WAI-ARIA role ready
- jQuery plugin agnostic
- Basic template files
- Customised functions.php adding theme support for high customisation
- Minimised HTTP requests for high Web Performance
- Localised strings for multiple language support
- Scss compiling and watching, css minification support
- Rollup.js for js for smallest possible bundles
- Image optimisation using imagemin.
- Base mobile nav out of the box
Clone the barebones repositories into your WordPress /wp-content/themes/ directory:
git clone https://github.com/benchmarkstudios/barebones cd barebones
To include all its optional submodules (Simple Grid included):
git submodule init git submodule update
.. or with yarn:
Install Gulp as a global NPM package, if you don't have it already on your machine:
npm install --global gulp
Install Dependencies, you have haven't done yet:
||to compile (All tasks)|
||to optimise images|
||to compile styles|
||to compile scripts|
||to create a build (minification, removes map files and comments)|
This will execute all the Gulp tasks on the gulpfile.babel.js.
Configuration for Gulp
Some of the configuration can be done in
config.barebones.js file, such as base source and public paths, along with scripts file paths for multiple bundles.
Of course, feel free to modify gulpfile itself.
Drop all your images into assets/images. When running gulp tasks, they will be automatically optimised and output files will available in img folder in the root of the theme.
Compatible with WordPress 3.2 and above, but always use the latest version.
- Internet Explorer 8.0+
- Firefox 3.0+
- Safari 4.0+
- Chrome 14.0+
- Opera 10.0+
Tips & Tricks
Most likely if you need to support IE8
... background-size: 120px 15px; background-image: url(/img/fallback.png); background-image: linear-gradient(transparent, transparent), url(/img/image.svg); ...
<img src="/img/logo.svg" onerror="this.src='/img/logo.png'" alt="image" />