I'm a front- and back-end web dev, now working at 10up.
From 2014 to 2020, I was part of the Institute for Nonprofit News' Nerds and Labs teams, where we:
- maintained the Largo parent theme through the Gutenberg transition,
- performed migrations and built themes for WordPress-using news sites, including but not limited to Workday Minnesota, Caribbean Investigative Journalism Network, City Limits, Chicago Reporter, Current, Indiana Public Broadcasting Stations, Mississippi Today, PublicSource, San Francisco Public Press, Voice of OC, and the Institute for Nonprofit News.
- developed and maintained many WordPress plugins, including Pym.js Embeds, the Super Cool Ad Inserter Plugin, the Republication Tracker Tool, and the Trust Project's Trust Indicators plugin (accepted on VIP),
- built bespoke interactives, graphics, and scrapers,
- consulted on site maintenance and updates,
- and provided technical advice to nonprofit newsrooms across the Americas.
I take pride in that INN Labs was able to continuously provide useful tools and responsive websites with a small team, that our clients were satisfied with our work, and that we wrote good documentation. And we did it all remotely, in time zones crossing the United States.
In my spare time, I tinker with a lot of things, including Jekyll-based personal websites and personal computing projects. I try out things from the wider jounalism coding community. Personal hobbies include constructing elaborate Halloween costumes and writing short fiction.