Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Preparing a Work for Transcription
Upload File Guidelines
To start a project, go to the Owner Dashboard and choose the "Start a Project" tab. Starting a Project
You can upload a file with images or import from the Internet Archive, a IIIF repository, or an Omeka site.
*First, edit the work's title and transcription conventions on the Work Settings page.* Editing Work Settings
The settings tab for the work shows the title, description, FromThePage Owner, transcription conventions and other metadata for the work. You can edit these fields by hovering over them with your mouse, then clicking to change them. All full-text fields accept raw HTML.
- Title will appear in the list of works for a collection, at the head of the work when users are reading it, and in the title bar of the browser whenever users interact with the work. In most contexts, the title will be displayed alongside the name of the collection that contains it.
- Transcription Conventions will be displayed at the bottom of the transcription form whenever scribes are transcribing pages from this work. Use this section to define standards for regularizing spelling and punctuation. This may be revised again as you become more familiar with the challenges posed by this particular text.
- All other data here will appear on the About tab for the work.
*Then, configure access settings on the Work Settings page.* Controlling Transcription Access
Works can be configured to allow transcription by any registered user of the FromThePage instance, or to restrict transcribers to only a permitted set of users. The default behavior is to allow transcription by any user. Skip this step if you want any registered user to transcribe this work.
To restrict transcription to certain users, select the settings tab for the work, check the "Restrict Editors" box on the right hand side and hit save. The page will refresh with a list of all registered users on the right hand side under the "Allowed Editors" heading. Select the name of any users you want to permit to transcribe this work.
*Next, add and manipulate the pages for the work.* *(Image manipulation is unnecessary for imported works)* Configuring Pages
The work pages tab is an work owner's view of the pages within the work.
- Add a page appends a new, blank page to the list of pages.
- Edit allows you to change the title of a page or delete that page. Click on the page title to change it.
- Status shows whether a page is ready to transcribe. Pages with no image will show an add link that allows you to upload, rotate and resize a page image.
- Up and Down links re-position a page within the list of pages.
Moving the Work to a different Collection
You may want to move the work to a different collection.
- Click the dashboard link to see the list of collections.
- Go to the settings tab for your collection.
- At the bottom is the "Manage Works" section