Oversteer is an application to configure steering wheels on Linux.
Features (when supported by the device and the driver):
- Change emulation mode.
- Change rotation range.
- Combine accelerator/brakes pedals for games that use just one axis.
- Change autocentering force strength.
- Change force feedback gain.
- Device configuration profiles.
- Fix system permissions to access all device features.
- Overlay window to display/configure range.
- Use wheel buttons to configure range.
- Hardware performance testing.
Additional features when using new-lg4ff:
- Combine accelerator/clutch pedals (for flight simulators).
- Change global force feedback gain.
- Change each conditional force feedback effect type gain.
- FFBmeter to monitor FFB clipping using wheel leds or overlay window.
This software supports the following Logitech wheels:
- Wingman Formula GP
- Wingman Formula Force GP
- Driving Force / Formula EX
- Driving Force Pro
- Driving Force GT
- Momo Force
- Momo Racing Force
- Speed Force Wireless
- G25 Racing Wheel
- G27 Racing Wheel
- G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel
- G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel
These other wheels are getting suppport as their drivers mature:
- Thrustmaster T150 with [https://github.com/scarburato/t150_driver].
- Thrustmaster T300RS with [https://github.com/Kimplul/hid-tmff2].
- Thrustmaster T500RS with [https://github.com/Kimplul/hid-tmff2].
- FANATEC CSL Elite Wheel Base with [https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff].
- FANATEC CSL Elite Wheel Base PS4 with [https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff].
- FANATEC ClubSport Wheel Base V2 with [https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff].
- FANATEC ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 with [https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff].
- FANATEC Podium Wheel Base DD1 with [https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff].
I can test only on a Logitech G29 Driving Force. Please, report your results with other devices. The Logitech G923 wheel is currently unsupported.
Use at your own risk. Suggestions, bugs and pull requests welcome.
gripped has created a Gentoo ebuild.
You can install all dependencies on Debian systems with the following command (I'm using the meson package in Buster backports):
apt install python3 python3-distutils python3-gi python3-pyudev python3-xdg python3-evdev gettext meson appstream-util desktop-file-utils python3-matplotlib python3-scipy
You can install all dependencies on Fedora systems with the following command:
dnf install python3 python3-distutils python3-gobject python3-pyudev python3-pyxdg python3-evdev gettext meson appstream desktop-file-utils python3-matplotlib-gtk3 python3-scipy
In other distributions, use the available tools to install the packages that will have similar names.
The access to some device features might be restricted by permissions. If that's the case, Oversteer will ask to install a udev rule file that gives permissions to access the device settings to any user.
Build and install
Prepare build system:
meson build cd build
Installing (needs administration rights):
Uninstalling (needs administration rights):
Updating should be done by first uninstalling the previous version, updating the code, then doing the full procedure again to install.
Oversteer can be launched as any desktop application.
It's also possible to use it from the console. Type
oversteer --help to see
the command line help.
Leillo1975 has kindly created a video explaining the basics of Oversteer (Spanish).
Using it as a companion app to your games
You can configure game launchers to run oversteer and load a profile or change settings so that it automatically configures the wheel when the game runs. When the game exits the app will close too. Please, refer to the command line help for more info.
It can also stop before the game runs so you can change some settings manually each time. This can be done from the command line or from a setting in the UI.
An example that would work for any Steam game would be:
oversteer -p myprofile -g "%command%"
Updating translations (for translators)
From the project root directory:
ninja oversteer-pot ninja oversteer-update-po
We could all greatly benefit from your help as with any other free software project.
Reports about what works and what not on different devices and systems are very welcome. You can also help by contributing specific notes for your distro, or doing the packaging work and everything else.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.