Local Zune Firmware Server for Recovery
This project Provides a host for the Zune Desktop app to fetch the firmware for a device recovery which was taken offline after Microsoft discontinued the Zune programme.
It is based on a Vagrant/Ansible machine running Ubuntu to serve the files on a URL which the Zune Desktop Software expects as a resource.
Installing the Zune Firmware fails with the error codes C00D133C (80190194).
- VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/
- Vagrant: https://www.vagrantup.com/downloads.html
- Zune Desktop Software (Version 4.8 recommended): https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=27163
Prepare the local environment:
vagrant plugin install vagrant-hostmanager
vagrant plugin install vagrant-triggers
2. Adding the Firmware files
- Firmware files are not inside this package as they belong to Microsft.
- Download these files from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=185560
- Download the program "LesMSIerables" from http://blogs.pingpoet.com/overflow/archive/2005/11/16/14995.aspx and extract the archive.
lessmsi.exeand extract extract the *.cab files to the
htdocs\firmware\v4_5directory of this project.
3. Starting the recovery
- Open a command prompt window and cd to the project's root directory (where Vagrantfile is located).
- Buld this virtual machine. This can take a while when starting it the first time. Type:
- The machine will be booted automatically.
- You can test whether the host is available by opening http://resources.zune.net in your web browser.
- Connect your device. Zune Software should start up automatically and be able to load the firmware from this project's machine.
When you are done
you may delete the virtual machine by typing
- Based on the OXID Base VM https://github.com/OXID-eSales/oxvm_base (dropped anything but Apache Webserver)
- Thanks to Jazzfan80 https://www.reddit.com/r/Zune/comments/4djt89/psa_the_zune_firmwares_are_able_to_be_installed/?st=izue227o&sh=dc6a3c80