# # BigBlueButton open source conferencing system - http://www.bigbluebutton.org/ # # Copyright (c) 2012 BigBlueButton Inc. and by respective authors (see below). # # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the # terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software # Foundation; either version 3.0 of the License, or (at your option) any later # version. # # BigBlueButton is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY # WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A # PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. # # You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along # with BigBlueButton; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. #
BigBlueButton LTI Integration
BigBlueButton is an open source web conferencing system that enables universities and colleges to deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote students.
These instructions describe how to install the BBB-LTI Plugin into a BigBlueButton server.
- With this plugin you can
- Enable a BigBlueButton server to be a LTI provider
- With a LMS acting as a consumer, allow users to create and join meetings using LMS external tools
bbb-lti is a grails project that can be compiled using the bbb-web components installed in any BigBlueButton development environment.
- To generate the war file
- grails clean grails war
Place the war file into the tomcat webapps directory and restart tomcat
sudo cp target/lti-0.2.war /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/lti.war
Configure the properties
sudo vi /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/lti/WEB-INF/classes/lti.properties
Edit the URL and Salt of the BigBlueButton server you are going to connect to (NOTE: Remove any trailing slashes from the URL!)
Edit the LTI basic information
sudo service tomcat6 restart
When running on the BigBlueButton server, create the map to this new application on nginx
How to use the service
- A server running any LMS which is a LTI consumer compliant
- A BigBlueButton 0.8 server running on a separate server (not on the same server as your LMS)
- A server running the plugin (It can be your bigbluebutton server or any other java application server)
- Add a new external tool
- In the LMS create a new external tool using the parameters added in the configuration file Ej. Consumer Key: demo Shared Secret: welcome URL: http://yourbigbluebuttonserver.com/lti/tool.xml
The BigBlueButton roles are assigned according to the roles in the LMS.
- -Faculty -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Faculty -Instructor -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Instructor -Mentor -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Mentor -Administrator -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Administrator
- -Student -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Student -Member -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Member -Learner -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Learner -Staff -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Staff -Alumni -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Alumni -ProspectiveStudent -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/ProspectiveStudent -Guest -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Guest -Other -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Other -Observer -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/Observer -None -urn:lti:instrole:ims/lis/None