Simple S3 Backup
A simple Ruby script to back up MySQL database tables, MongoDB databases, full directories, and groups of single files to Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service).
Steps for using:
- Set up an Amazon S3 account: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/
- Install the aws/s3 Ruby gem: http://amazon.rubyforge.org/
- Rename settings-sample.rb to settings.rb
- In settings.rb, fill in specific command paths, your Amazon API credentials, MySQL login info & databases, and any directories you want backed up. Just comment out the constants for backups you don't want to run.
- Set the script to run with cron - I have mine run every night, like so:
15 3 * * * /usr/bin/ruby /home/username/backups/simple-s3-backup.rb
- Split daily archives into separate directories in the bucket? Would be helpful for those with lots of files, and lots of days