To use (parts of) BioImage Suite Web as a library you can install it via npm
npm install biswebnode
npm install biswebbrowser
Before you begin
Install Node.js 10.x (LTS) -- you may download this from:
Install the following global prerequisites using
npm(on a MS-Windows machine omit
sudo npm install -g gulp mocha jsdoc eslint modclean webpack webpack-cli uglify-es rimraf sudo npm install -g electron --unsafe-perm=true --allow-root sudo npm install -g electron-packager
Examples Of Using BioImage Suite Web as a library
The following two directories illustrate the use of the npm packages
biswebnode -- examples of using the node.js package
biswebnodeas a library.
biswebbrowser -- examples of using the browser/electron package
biswebbrowseras a library.
A Complete Simple Application Example in 10 Steps
This set of examples shows how to create both the code and, more critically, the development/build environment for a multi-context (web, electron, PWA) application. The application itself is trivial -- it simply computes the BMI given height and weight information. The focus here is really on the software engineering infrastructure aspects of the problem.
This set of examples was developed in part also for the needs of the Yale
Medical Software Design (BENG 406b, Spring 2019).
- Step 1 -- a simple commandline (node.js)
- Step 2 -- a slightly more complex node.js application showing how to use a module.
- Step 3 -- a simple web-based application showing how to use an
old-fashioned module. We also introduce here
npmand the associated package file
package.jsonand the task runner
- Step 4 -- a redo of step 3 using proper modules and the webpack
''bundler''. We also introduce regression testing using
- Step 5 -- a redo of step 4 but now as a desktop application using Electron.
- Step 6 -- moving step 5 to web-components (custom web elements)
- Step 7 -- Using BioImage Suite Web code to create menus, file dialogs and file I/O
- Step 8 -- Progressive web applications.
- Step 9 -- packaging web applications for deployment to a web server.
- Step 10 -- extra code for packaging electron-based desktop applications. distribution.
- Complete -- the full example with desktop and electron and pwa versions. This is the boiler-plate template for BENG 406b projects.
BioImage Suite Web (bisweb) is a web-based medical image analysis suite primarily geared towards Neuroimaging Analysis. We gratefully acknowledge support from the NIH Brain Initiative under grant R24 MH114805 (Papademetris X. and Scheinost D. PIs).