Mattermost is an open source, on-prem Slack-alternative.
It offers modern communication from behind your firewall, including messaging and file sharing across PCs and phones with archiving and instant search.
All team communication in one place, searchable and accessible anywhere
Please see the features pages of the Mattermost website for images and further description of the functionality listed below:
Sharing Messaging and Files
- Send messages, comments, files and images across public, private and 1-1 channels
- Personalize notifications for unreads and mentions by channel and keyword
- Use #hashtags to tag and find messages, discussions and files
Archiving and Search
- Import Slack user accounts and channel archives
- Search public and private channels for historical messages and comments
- View recent mentions of your name, username, nickname, and custom search terms
- Use Mattermost from web-enabled PCs and phones
- Attach sound, video and image files from mobile devices
- Define team-specific branding and color themes across your devices
- Host and manage dozens of teams from a single Mattermost server
- Easily manage your Mattermost server using a web-based System Console
- Script setup and maintenance using Mattermost command line tools
- Product Vision and Target Audiences - What we're solving and for whom are we building
- Mattermost Forum - For technical questions and answers
- Troubleshooting Forum - For reporting bugs
- Issue Tracker - For reporting bugs
- Feature Ideas Forum - For sharing ideas for future versions
- Contribution Guidelines - For contributing code or feedback to the project
Latest stable release of Mattermost is available from http://www.mattermost.org/download/, including binary distribution, and from install guides below.
If you use Docker, you can install Mattermost in a single-container preview in one line.
Quick Start Install for Product Evaluation
Local Machine Install with Docker - Explore product functionality using a single-container Docker install on a local machine, including Mac OSX, Ubuntu, or Arch Linux). Optionally set up email and upgrade your instance using DockerHub.
AWS EBS Install with Docker - Explore product functionality using a single-container Docker install for Amazon Web Services Elastic Beanstalk. Optionally set up email and upgrade your instance using DockerHub.
- Developer Machine Setup - Setup your local machine development environment using Docker on Mac OSX or Ubuntu. Pull the latest stable release or pull the latest code from our development build.
Prior to production installation, please review Mattermost system requirements.
Production Install on Ubuntu 14.04 - Install Mattermost for production environments.
GitLab Mattermost Production Installation - Install Mattermost for production environments bundled with GitLab, a leading open source Git repository, using an omnibus package for Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 7, Debian 8, and CentOS 6 (and RedHat/Oracle/Scientific Linux 6), CentOS 7 (and RedHat/Oracle/Scientific Linux 7).
For technical questions and answers, please visit the Troubleshooting Forum.
Get Involved with Mattermost
Joining the Mattermost community is a great way to build relationships with other talented and like-minded professionals, increase awareness of the interesting work you are doing, and sharpen your skills. Here are some of the ways that you can make a difference in the Mattermost ecosystem:
- Visit the Mattermost Forum for technical questions and answers.
- Share feedback on Mattermost Design Feedback Requests, which offer early previews of designs community comments and feedback.
- Visit the Feature Ideas Forum and consider upvoting community feature ideas, which are reviewed for each monthly release.
- Blog about your Mattermost experiences and use cases, either on your personal blog, the Mattermost forum, or contribute a guest post to the Mattermost blog. If you write about Mattermost. please contact our community team at firstname.lastname@example.org for help promoting your content.
- Tweet to share with your community and friends why you use Mattermost. Follow @MattermostHQ on Twitter and conversations on #mattermost.
- As with most open source projects, Mattermost documentation is maintained in a public repository. You can propose changes by submitting pull requests (no programming skills required). We highly welcome you to add improvements, write guides and tutorials, and expand on sections.
- Prior to contributing, please review Mattermost Documentation Guidelines, which include standards on writing Mattermost documentation for a global audience, who might not use English as their first language.
- Share feature ideas with the Mattermost community
- Review the Mattermost Code Contribution Guidelines to submit patches for the core product
- Build community applications using Mattermost webhooks, drivers and APIs
- Create new community installers and guides for Mattermost
Check out some projects for connecting to Mattermost:
- Matterbridge - an IRC bridge connecting to Mattermost
- GitLab Integration Service for Mattermost - connecting GitLab to Mattermost via incoming webhooks
- Giphy Integration Service for Mattermost - connecting Mattermost to Giphy via outgoing webhooks
- node-mattermost - a node.js module for sending and receiving messages from Mattermost webhooks
- matterqus - Disqus comment notifier for Mattermost
Have other ideas or suggestions?
If there’s some other way you’d like to contribute, please contact us at email@example.com. We’d love to meet you!