Put some nice SOCKS on your HTTP only program
Driven by my burning desire to tunnel
npm install requests through a SOCKSv5 proxy (eg. shadowsocks). Since
npm only support HTTP proxy, I wrote this simple command line module to fire up a HTTP Proxy server, then use it to tunnel requests to my SOCKS proxy.
- Supports HTTP and HTTPS requests
- Built-in DNS cache
- 150 loc, does nothing else
npm install kneesocks --production -g
kneesocks port1 port2, eg.
kneesocks 10001 10002
port1is the port your HTTP proxy server listen to on localhost.
port2is the port of your existing SOCKS proxy, also on localhost.
Then you can set your npm config:
npm config set http http://127.0.0.1:10001
npm config set https-proxy http://127.0.0.1:10001
To revert proxy config, use
npm config delete http and
npm config delete https-proxy.
To debug, use
DEBUG=proxy kneesocks port1 port2
- Node v0.10+ required (Node v0.11+ preferred).
- Probably not the best solution for day-to-day browsing, due to lack of remote dns and websocket support.
- If you don't mind building binaries, use DeleGate or Polipo instead.