What is git?
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency
$ docker run --name git bitnami/git:latest
Why use Bitnami Images?
- Bitnami closely tracks upstream source changes and promptly publishes new versions of this image using our automated systems.
- With Bitnami images the latest bug fixes and features are available as soon as possible.
- Bitnami containers, virtual machines and cloud images use the same components and configuration approach - making it easy to switch between formats based on your project needs.
- All our images are based on minideb a minimalist Debian based container image which gives you a small base container image and the familiarity of a leading linux distribution.
- All Bitnami images available in Docker Hub are signed with Docker Content Trust (DTC). You can use
DOCKER_CONTENT_TRUST=1to verify the integrity of the images.
- Bitnami container images are released daily with the latest distribution packages available.
This CVE scan report contains a security report with all open CVEs. To get the list of actionable security issues, find the "latest" tag, click the vulnerability report link under the corresponding "Security scan" field and then select the "Only show fixable" filter on the next page.
Supported tags and respective
Learn more about the Bitnami tagging policy and the difference between rolling tags and immutable tags in our documentation page.
Subscribe to project updates by watching the bitnami/git GitHub repo.
Get this image
The recommended way to get the Bitnami Git Docker Image is to pull the prebuilt image from the Docker Hub Registry.
$ docker pull bitnami/git:latest
To use a specific version, you can pull a versioned tag. You can view the list of available versions in the Docker Hub Registry.
$ docker pull bitnami/git:[TAG]
If you wish, you can also build the image yourself.
$ docker build -t bitnami/git:latest https://github.com/bitnami/bitnami-docker-git.git
To run commands inside this container you can use
docker run, for example to execute
git version you can follow below example
$ docker run --name bitnami/git:latest --version
If you encountered a problem running this container, you can file an issue. For us to provide better support, be sure to include the following information in your issue:
- Host OS and version
- Docker version (
- Output of
- Version of this container
- The command you used to run the container, and any relevant output you saw (masking any sensitive information)
Copyright 2019 Bitnami
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.