Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
This is the second beta release of Firefox for eCS (OS/2) version 24. It contains an update from version 24.3.0 to version 24.8.1 which includes a number of performance enhancements and security fixes from the Mozilla developers. It also fixes broken spell checking functionality in text input fields on OS/2.
The CHANGES.OS2 file contains more detailed list of changes.
This is a beta release meaning that not all functions work properly. In particular, there are the following limitations:
- Due to bugs in MMPM, the current version of Firefox runs the Flash plugin in
"in-process" (traditional) mode instead of the new OOP (out-of-process) mode
used on other platforms. This will be fixed in future releases.
- The OpenJDK (Java) plugin is known to hang when activated (a regression of Firefox version 24). This is to be addressed in the next release.
@font-faceHTML attribute is not yet supported. As a result, tiny boxes
with hex numbers are displayed instead of characters on pages that use it.
- Fonts with names containing special characters (like Asian Unicode names)
will not display correctly in the list of fonts in the Options panel.
- Mozilla apps will beep when copying more than 64 kB of text to the clipboard.
This is to alert users that many applications (most notably the system
editor, EPM, and applications running in VIO windows) cannot paste more
- Other known problems can be found by following this link:
- The old list of bugs (for historical purposes, as it is mostly outdated)
can be found by following the link "Current Open Warpzilla Bugs" on the
OS/2 Mozilla page http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/.
The list of prerequisites for this version is as follows (sorry, GitHub has a surprising bug that prevents making clickable FTP links here so you have to copy-paste them):
Also, if you don't use RPM/YUM, you will need the following DLLs:
If you do have RPM/YUM installed, you may still need to do
yum install pthread mmap libgcc473 libstdc++ or
yum update in order to run Firefox.
Please refer to README.OS2 for more information about this release and for detailed installation instructions.
- If you find a bug (which is likely), please create an issue at the issues page. But before you create a new issue, be sure it is not already reported by searching through the existing ones using the Search field at the top of this page.
- When Firefox crashes it creates a trap report that may contain useful information for the developers. These reports are saved in
.TRPfiles created in the directory where
firefox.exeis installed. By default these reports contain only basic information. In order to make them even more useful (and therefore make a fix for your problem much more likely) please do the following:
- Install the latest EXCEPTQ runtime from http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/betas/ (currently, this one is the latest).
- Install the Firefox symbol files by downloading the
.symbols.ziparchive from the link below and unzipping it to the same directory where you installed Firefox.
- Make Firefox crash again and attach the resulting
.TRPfile to the issue describing your problem.