Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Getting Started with Git
The Bixo project uses git as its source code control system.
If you are unfamiliar with git, the official manual is available here
If you are coming to git after using svn, there is an excellent reference available here
There are GUI tools available for git:
- git-gui is bundled with git (you launch it from your terminal as “git gui”).
- gitk – this is an older application that is still part of the standard git distribution (you launch it by invoking ‘gitk’ from your terminal window). It does require tcl/tk to be installed on your machine though.
- For Mac OS users wanting a more native look and feel, there is a free alternative — GitX
There is also GitHub for Mac which has been created by the folks at GitHub.
- For Windows users an excellent guide to getting started with git and GitHub is here
- From the makers of SmartSVN, you can now get SmartGit.