HSImageSidebarView is a subclass of UIview for displaying a collection of images. It was designed specifically with the iPad in mind, but should work on the iPhone as well. The images are arranged either horizontally or vertically, depending on the dimensions of the view. It supports selection, scrolling, drag-and-drop rearranging, and drag-and-drop deletion. The API is patterned after UITableView, so it will be familiar to Cocoa Touch programmers.
An HSImageSidebarView is created using the standard initWithFrame: method on UIView.
// Create an 80-pixel sidebar on the left side of the screen HSImageSidebarView *sidebar = [[HSImageSidebarView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 0, 80, 1024)]; sidebar.delegate = self; [parentView addSubview:sidebar]; [sidebar release];
It can also be created in Interface Builder by adding a UIView and then setting its class (in IB) to HSImageSidebarView.
The image sidebar receives all its information through delegate methods. The two required methods are these:
- (NSUInteger)countOfImagesInSidebar:(HSImageSidebarView *)sidebar; - (UIImage *)sidebar:(HSImageSidebarView *)sidebar imageForIndex:(NSUInteger)anIndex;
When a user taps, moves, or deletes an image, the delegate can be notified through one of these methods:
- (void)sidebar:(HSImageSidebarView *)sidebar didTapImageAtIndex:(NSUInteger)anIndex; - (void)sidebar:(HSImageSidebarView *)sidebar didMoveImageAtIndex:(NSUInteger)oldIndex toIndex:(NSUInteger)newIndex; - (void)sidebar:(HSImageSidebarView *)sidebar didRemoveImageAtIndex:(NSUInteger)anIndex;
HSImageSidebarView requires iOS 4.0 or later. A sample project is included to demonstrate usage.
The following are features which I would like to see added, but which haven't been completed yet:
- Make sure it works on iPhone.
- Expose selection color property
- Enable/disable drag-to-move
- Enable/disable drag-to-delete
- Be smarter about calculating the image frame when the the aspect fit doesn't fill the whole frame. (This mostly applies when trying to position a popover correctly.)
- Add support for indentation levels
- Add support for numbering images
- Add support for multiple selection