Libraries and Frameworks
There are many libraries available for reading and/or writing Tiled maps (either stored in the :doc:`tmx-map-format` or the :doc:`json-map-format`) as well as many development frameworks that include support for Tiled maps. This list is divided into two sections:
The first list is for developers who plan on implementing their own renderer. The second list is for developers already using (or considering) a particular game engine / graphics library who would rather pass on having to write their own tile map renderer.
For updates to this page please open a pull request or issue on GitHub, thanks!
Support by Language
These libraries typically include only a TMX parser, but no rendering support. They can be used universally and should not require a specific game engine or graphics library.
- TMX - TMX map loader with Allegro5 and SDL2 examples (BSD).
- C++/Boost by Tomas Andrle (limited functionality, single cpp file)
- C++/TinyXML based tmxparser (BSD)
- C++/Qt based libtiled, used by Tiled itself and included at src/libtiled (BSD)
- C++11x/TinyXml2 libtmx-parser by halsafar. (zlib/tinyxml2)
- C++11/TinyXml2 libtmx by jube, for reading only (ISC licence). See documentation.
- TMXParser General *.tmx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TSXParser for external tileset loading. (No internal tileset support)
- TSXParser General *.tsx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TMXParser.
- TMXLoader based on RapidXml. Limited functionality (check the website for details).
- tmxlite C++14 map parser with compressed map support but no external linking required. Includes examples for SFML and SDL2 rendering. Currently has full tmx support up to 0.16. (Zlib/libpng)
- MonoGame.Extended has a Tiled map loader and renderer that works with MonoGame on all platforms that support portable class libraries.
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave (has dependency on XNA but supposedly can be turned into a standalone parser easily)
- TiledSharp: Yet another C# TMX importer library, with Tiled 0.11 support. TiledSharp is a generic parser which can be used in any framework, but it cannot be used to render the maps. Available via NuGet.
- NTiled: Generic parser for 0.9.1 tiled maps. Available via NuGet.
- TmxCSharp: Useful for multi-layer orthographic tile engines. No framework dependencies, used with a custom OpenTK tile engine soon to be open source, tested with Tiled 0.8.1 (multiple output formats). MIT license.
- tmx-mapper-pcl: PCL library for parsing Tiled map TMX files. This library could be used with MonoGame and Windows Runtime Universal apps.
- tile-soup: Parses and validates a TMX file into a map. Automatically decodes Base64 and CSV formatted data and coerces numbers when necessary. Works on both the JVM and in browsers via ClojureScript.
- tiledMap.d simple single-layer and single-tileset example to load a map and its tileset in D language. It also contains basic rendering logic using DSFML
- dtiled can load JSON-formatted Tiled maps. It also provides general tilemap-related functions and algorithms.
- A library for loading TMX files is included with Tiled at util/java/libtiled-java.
- PHP TMX Viewer by sebbu : render the map as an image (allow some modifications as well)
- TMX parser: a simple loader for TMX maps (CSV format only).
- linux-man/ptmx: Add Tiled maps to your Processing sketch.
- pytmxlib: library for programmatic manipulation of TMX maps
- python-tmx: a simple library for reading and writing TMX files.
- tmx gem by erisdiscord
- librpg A library to load and handle spritesets (own format) and orthogonal TMX maps.
Support by Framework
Following entries are integrated solutions for specific game engines. They are typically of little to no use if you're not using said game engine.
- cocos2d (Python) supports loading
- cocos2d-x (C++) supports loading TMX maps through the CCTMXTiledMap class.
- cocos2d-objc (Objective-C, Swift) (previously known as: cocos2d-iphone, cocos2d-swift, cocos2d-spritebuilder) supports loading TMX maps through CCTiledMap
- TilemapKit is a tilemapping framework for Cocos2D. It supports all TMX tilemap types, including staggered iso and all hex variations. No longer in development.
Construct 2 - Scirra
- Construct 2, since the Beta Release 149, officially supports TMX maps, and importing it by simple dragging the file inside the editor. Official Note
- ponytiled is a simple Tiled Map Loader for Corona SDK (forum announcement)
- Dusk Engine is a fully featured Tiled map game engine for Corona SDK (no longer maintained, but may still be useful)
- Berry is a simple Tiled Map Loader for Corona SDK.
- Qiso is an isometric engine for Corona SDK that supports loading Tiled maps, and also handles things like path-finding for you.
- Lithander demonstrated his Flash TMX parser combined with Flixel rendering
- Tiled ships with a plug-in that can :ref:`export a map to a GameMaker: Studio 1.4 room file <gamemaker-export>`
- Tiled2GM Converter by Dmi7ry
- Tiled Map Importer imports each map as Godot scene which can be instanced or inherited (forum announcement)
- HaxePunk Tiled Loader for HaxePunk
- OpenFL "openfl-tiled" is a library, which gives OpenFL developers the ability to use the Tiled Map Editor.
- OpenFL + Tiled + Flixel Experimental glue to use "openfl-tiled" with HaxeFlixel
HTML5 (multiple engines)
- Canvas Engine A framework to create video games in HTML5 Canvas
- chem-tmx Plugin for chem game engine.
- chesterGL A simple WebGL/canvas game library
- KineticJs-Ext A multi-canvas based game rendering library
- melonJS A lightweight HTML5 game engine
- Panda 2, a HTML5 Game Development Platform for Mac, Windows and Linux. Has a plugin for rendering Tiled maps, both orthogonal and isometric.
- linux-man/p5.tiledmap adds Tiled maps to p5.js.
- Platypus Engine A robust orthogonal tile game engine with game entity library.
- sprite.js A game framework for image sprites.
- indielib cross-platform supports loading TMX maps through the C++/TinyXML based tmx-parser by KonoM (BSD)
- libgdx, a Java-based Android/desktop/HTML5 game library, provides a packer, loader and renderer for TMX maps
- LITIengine is a 2D Java Game Engine that supports loading, saving and rendering maps in the .tmx format.
- Simple Tiled Implementation Lua loader for the LÖVE (Love2d) game framework.
- bit.tiled Loads TMX file as objects. Aims to be fully compatible with native TMX files.
- Diddy is an extensive framework for Monkey X that contains a module for loading and rendering TMX files. Supports orthogonal and isometric maps as both CSV and Base64 (uncompressed).
Oak Nut Engine (onut)
Orx Portable Game Engine
- TMX to ORX Converter Tutorial and converter download for Orx.
- Pygame map loader by dr0id
- PyTMX by Leif Theden (bitcraft)
- tmx.py by Richard Jones, from his 2012 PyCon 'Introduction to Game Development' talk.
- TMX, a fork of tmx.py and a port to Python3. A demo called pylletTown can be found here.
- PyTMX by Leif Theden (bitcraft)
RPG Maker MV
- C++/TinyXML/SDL based loader example by Rohin Knight (limited functionality)
- STP (SFML TMX Parser) by edoren
- C++/SFML Tiled map loader by fallahn. (Zlib/libpng)
- C++/SfTileEngine by Tresky (currently limited functionality)
Sprite Kit Framework
- SKTilemap is built from the ground up in Swift. It's up to date, full of features and easy to integrate into any Sprite Kit project. Supports iOS and OSX.
- SKTiled - A Swift framework for working with Tiled assets in SpriteKit.
- TilemapKit is a tilemapping framework for Sprite Kit. It supports all TMX tilemap types, including staggered iso and all hex variations. No longer in development.
- JSTileMap is a lightweight SpriteKit implementation of the TMX format supporting iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 and above.
TERRA Engine (Delphi/Pascal)
- TERRA Engine supports loading and rendering of TMX maps.
- Orthello Pro (2D framework) offers Tiled map support.
- Tiled To Unity is a 3D pipeline for Tiled maps. It uses prefabs as tiles, and can place decorations dynamically on tiles. Supports multiple layers (including object layers).
- Tiled2Unity exports TMX files to Unity with support for (non-simple) collisions.
- UniTiled, a native TMX importer for Unity.
- UniTMX imports TMX files into a mesh.
- X-UniTMX supports almost all Tiled 0.11 features. Imports TMX/XML files into Sprite Objects or Meshes.
- Tiled TMX Importer, imports into Unity 2017.2's new native Tilemap system.
Unreal Engine 4
- Paper2D provides built-in support for tile maps and tile sets, importing JSON exported from Tiled.
- Urho3D natively supports loading Tiled maps as part of the Urho2D sublibrary (Documentation, HTML5 example).
- FlatRedBall Engine TMXGlue tool by Domenic Datti loads TMX maps into the FlatRedBall engine, complete with node networks, pathfinding, and shapecollection support via object layers.
- TiledMax by Aimee Bailey, a .NET library for parsing TMX maps without dependencies on Windows or XNA
- XTiled by Michael C. Neel and Dylan Wolf, XNA library for loading and rendering TMX maps
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave