Wttr Forecast Widget
Wttr Forecast is a multi-location weather widget build for Übersicht (MacOS). Wttr Forecast stores all weather information locally on your device and allows you to access forecasts even when you are offline.
- makes use of the DarkSky API with a global coverage of nearly any location
- allows you to add multiple location without adding more and more bloat to your screen
- displays not just the current weather situation but also the forecast for upcoming days
- loaded weather forecast gets stored on the local machine so even if your internet connection fails the Wttr widget will still display the last available information
- customizable so you can easily set your desired language, unit or color preferences
In order to use the arrows or navigation dots to switch between your different locations you need to choose an
interaction shortcut in the Übersicht preferences.
In order to set up the widget properly you need to add the DarkSky API (forecasting provider) by yourself. The following steps will guide you through these steps:
- Open: https://darksky.net/dev
- Log in or Sign up if you haven't created an account yet
- Get your secret key and add it below to the
apiKeysection (the key needs to be put in quotation marks)
||add your personal DarkSky secret API key in order to download weather forecast information|
||Return weather conditions in requested units:
||desired language in which summaries will get display (more: https://darksky.net/dev/docs)|
||sets refresh rate of widget, change value outside of brackets to modify number of minutes before freshly updated weather forecasting information appearance on your screen
(remember: Free tier of DarkSky.io allows up to 1000 refresh calls per day)
Adding locations follows an easy to understand principle:
- create an id for your location (e.g.
- add a name to your location which later will be displayed on your widget (e.g.
- add 'Latitude' as well as 'Longitude' information (e.g.
you can grab those information from Google Maps:
- open maps.google.com
- search for your desired location
- get the URL: https://www.google.com/maps/place/London,+United+Kingdomemail@example.com,-0.2416814,11z/ you can find the important information here --> ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
all in all the
location: section will look like the following:
location: #<-- do not remove this part lnd: name: 'London, GB' lat: 51.5287718 lng: -0.2416814
every other location can be added just like that:
location: #<-- do not remove this part lnd: name: 'London, GB' lat: 51.5287718 lng: -0.2416814 prs: name: 'Paris, FR' lat: 48.8589507 lng: 2.2770202
1.0- Initial Release
1.0.1- Fixed a bug present on macOS High Sierra (thanks @_martinc)
The gorgeous weather icons crafted by Erik Flowers can not just be used as standalone icons but also as an easy to implement font. So in case you are wondering what else you could use to display the current weather situation I encourage you to check out the project site.
In case of questions, errors, suggestions for an improvement or just to talk about your daily life feel free to get in touch with me or create a pull request and implement your needed functionality.
© 2017 | Bastian Kroggel