This project contains a set of shell scripts for installing and configuring a fresh Ubuntu operating system. It is assumed that the base Ubuntu install is a server install and not a client install.
This project can serve as a prelude to the Rails Setup Project should you wish to have a bootstrapped Rails app running on a fresh Ubuntu install with a full server stack.
Table of Contents
- A configurable shell script for applying default settings and installing necessary software packages.
Open a terminal window and execute one of the following setup sequences depending on your version preference:
Current Version (stable):
git clone git://github.com/bkuhlmann/ubuntu.git cd ubuntu git checkout v0.3.1
Master Version (unstable):
git clone git://github.com/bkuhlmann/ubuntu.git cd ubuntu
Edit the setup.sh file and adjust the settings as you see fit, namely the following variables:
You may want to tweak the *.sh files in the scripts folder as well.
- ssh to your server or VM.
- Switch to the root user.
- Create the a /root/.ssh/authorized_keys file with your public key.
- chmod -R 600 /root/.ssh.
- mkdir /root/ubuntu.
- scp the files of this project to the /root/ubuntu folder. Example: scp -r - email@example.com:/root/ubuntu.
- Run the /root/ubuntu/setup.sh script in the root of this project.
- Delete the /root/ubuntu folder.
- Delete the /root/.ssh folder.
Read Semantic Versioning for details. Briefly, it means:
- Patch (x.y.Z) - Incremented for small, backwards compatible bug fixes.
- Minor (x.Y.z) - Incremented for new, backwards compatible public API enhancements and/or bug fixes.
- Major (X.y.z) - Incremented for any backwards incompatible public API changes.
Code of Conduct
Please note that this project is released with a CODE OF CONDUCT. By participating in this project you agree to abide by its terms.
Read CONTRIBUTING for details.