HeartMonitor -- Bluetooth Low Energy Application
The purpose of this application is to demonstrate how to use selected BlackBerry 10 Bluetooth Low Energy APIs in the context of a practical real-world use case. The Release History section gives details of those APIs which are covered and any changes as the sample evolves over time.
The use case examines how to interface to a Bluetooth Low Energy Heart Rate Monitor device in order to acquire and display data from the device. The application uses the standard Heart Rate Service (overview available here) as specificied by the Bluetooth SIG enabling it to interwork with any Bluetooth Smart device that implements this profile.
The sample code for this application is Open Source under the Apache 2.0 License.
- V1.0.0 - Initial release
- V1.0.1 - OS Version support for Device Software 10.1.*
- V1.0.3 - Workaround for problem caused by NULL event_data in early 10.2 builds. Ignore false GATT connect errno 16 errors.
- V1.0.4 - Updated FLOT to version 0.8.2. Removed scan timer (redundant) Trigger device scanning on start now performed in C++ instead of QML as this was blocking completion of QML loading/rendering at 10.2.1. Added ActivityIndicator to indicate scanning activity
- Minimal requrement BlackBerry 10 Device Software 10.0.9
- Minimal requrement BlackBerry 10 Native SDK 10.0.9
How to Build HeartMonitor
Simply Import the project into a workspace in your NDK. Of course you should review the project after it's been imported paying particular attention to the settings in the bar-descriptor.xml file. It should be changed to reflect values in the <author> and <authorId> elements that are appropriate for you.
What else will I need?
You will need a Bluetooth Smart ( Low Energy) heart rate monitor that supports the standard Heart Rate Service and pair it to the BlackBerry 10 device before using the application.
But I don't want to build it myself!
If you don't want to build this sample application yourself we've included a pre-build and signed BAR file. You can find it in the folder "installable-bar-files" as follows:
- HeartMonitor-1_0_1_203.bar -- Signed BAR file for Version 1.0.1 (V1.0.1) of the application ( minimal requirement BlackBerry 10 Software 10.0.9 )
- HeartMonitor-1_0_0_202.bar -- Signed BAR file for Version 1.0 (V1.0) of the application ( minimal requirement BlackBerry 10 Software 10.0.9 )
To contribute code to this repository you must be signed up as an official contributor.
Devices we've tested with
- Wahoo Blue HR
- Polar H7
- Zephyr HxM Smart
- You should ensure that the heart rate monitor that you use has been paired with the BlackBerry 10 device before using the application. Dynamic pairing will be added as a later release of this application.
Please see the README of the Cascades-Community-Samples repository for instructions on how to add new Samples or make modifications to existing Samples.
Bug Reporting and Feature Requests
If you find a bug in a Sample, or have an enhancement request, simply file an Issue for the Sample and send a message (via github messages) to the Sample Author(s) to let them know that you have filed an Issue.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.