Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 36 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
How to Use Tap Dance
How to Use Tap Dance
For our tutorial over here, we will create a tap dance key that outputs 1 with i keypress, 2 with 2 keypresses, and 3 with 3 keypresses on a Diverge TM as an example.
To create a new tap dance key, follow the steps below:
- Plug in your Animus device.
- (Optional) Plug in another keyboard.
- Launch Arbites, a new window like this should appear:
- Select "Select Device" and then select your device.
- A keyboard with the physical layout of your keyboard should appear.
- Following the How to Rebind Keys guide, rebind one of your keys to
tapdance0by using the Key Menu.
- The above has assigned
tapdance0to one of the keys on the keyboard, now we could specify what
tapdance0does by selecting "Edit Tap Dance," then selecting
tapdance0from the list of choices.
- A new window should now pop up, in this example, we will create a tap dance key that outputs 1 with i keypress, 2 with 2 keypresses, and 3 with 3 keypresses, so we will press the "Add Key" button 3 times, after pressing the button 3 times, resize the window appropriately.
- Tap dance keys run from left to right and works via a timeout mechanic, if you press the
tapdance0key once during a short duration, then the leftmost key will be outputted, if you press the 'tapdance0' key twice during a short duration, then the second key from the left will be outputted, to change the keys in the UI, click on the key and press a key on your physical keyboard or utilise the key menu like you would with the virtual keyboard.
The above example will output "1" if the
tapdance0key is pressed once, "2" if the
tapdance0key is pressed twice, and "3" if the
tapdance0key is pressed thrice.
Pressing and holding work, so you could press the
tapdance0key twice, then hold the key down to press and hold the "2" key,etc.
You could also change the timeout period of the tapdance keys individually by selecting the timeout period from the bottom right corner.
- Once you are done adding keys to the tap dance key, you may press "Save."
- Now we may wish to save our layout (which includes the tapdance data) by pressing "Save Layout," Afterwards, we could upload the layout by selecting the appropriate port number and pressing "Apply."