Laptop is a set of scripts to get your laptop set up as a development machine.
Mac OS X
First, enable FileVault in the Security preference pane. Keep the key someplace safe. Reboot.
Grab XCode from the App Store and install it.
Then, open Terminal and run this one-liner:
bash < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/treehouseagency/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- MySQL 5.5.14 (with some good performance configuration for a dev machine)
- coreutils and findutils with the 'g' prefix (so we don't miss out on Linux goodness)
- PHP 5.3.8 with MSSQL and MySQL support
- VirtualBox 4.1.2
- drush and drush-toolbox
- RVM (for managing versions of the Ruby programming language)
- Ruby 1.9.2 stable (for writing general-purpose code)
- Vagrant gem (for managing VirtualBox virtual machines)
- Veewee gem (to allow building VirtualBox virtual machines through Ruby)
It should take about 40 minutes for everything to install, depending on your machine.