This is the first beta release, with numerous fixes, improvements, and additions. It is a "Google Beta" release; this means we are paying special attention to avoiding BC breaks, but one or two may be necessary.
- Override values in bookdown.json are no longer relative to the bookdown.json directory.
- International and multibyte characters are now rendered correctly (cf. #12, #13, #34, et al.).
- Add UTF8 meta in the template header.
--root-hrefas a command-line option.
- Added a "copy images" process to download/copy images to target path.
- Added CommonMark extension support.
- Added Markdown table support via webuni/commonmark-table-extension.
- Added TOC depth support for multiple books and index pages.
- Added "copyright" as a bookdown.json entry.
- Various updates to the README and other documentation.
Thanks, as always, to all our contributors; special thanks to Sandro Keil, who delivered several important features in this release.