Vorta is a backup client for macOS and Linux desktops. It integrates the mighty BorgBackup with your desktop environment to protect your data from disk failure, ransomware and theft.
Why is this great? 🤩
- Encrypted, deduplicated and compressed backups using Borg as backend.
- No vendor lock-in – back up to local drives, your own server or BorgBase, a hosting service for Borg backups.
- Open source – free to use, modify, improve and audit.
- Flexible profiles to group source folders, backup destinations and schedules.
- One place to view all point-in-time archives and restore individual files.
Vorta should work on all platforms that support Qt and Borg. This includes macOS, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch Linux and many others. Windows is currently not supported by Borg, but this may change in the future.
For available packages and instructions, see INSTALL.md
- Description of Borg's internal workings and security
- High level guide and template on setting up a complete backup strategy
- Detailed tutorial on setting up Vorta
- Why the name? Vorta are a race referenced in Star Trek. After dying they are replaced by their cloned backup.
Development and Bugs
- Report bugs and submit feature ideas by opening a new Github issue.
- Want to contribute to Vorta? Great! See CONTRIBUTING.md