👋 I'm Rob
Tell me a little about yourself
Well hi. I'm Rob Kendal, a freelance front end developer and UI engineer based in
sunny Yorkshire. I build a variety of things for a variety of people using fancy tools, frameworks, platforms and libraries including:
- ...and a ton of other bits and bobs
You can always take a look at my helpful articles on my website.
What else do you do?
I try to spend as much time as I can helping the dev community by:
- Writing helpful articles on web development,
- Publishing books such as my FREE title, Aspire to Hired!, all about starting to code and landing a dev job,
- Running a YouTube channel, Coding with Rob,
- Publishing a podcast, The Front End
Do you have any standout projects?
Sure do, very glad you asked!
I have a bunch of different repos on here, but the ones you might find most helpful/interesting include:
Do you have any articles to read?
Yep and yep. You can read my latest articles below.
- How to use contact forms with headless WordPress and Next.js
- React, Angular and Vue compared, which should you learn in 2021?
- Signs to lookout for if you suspect you've ended up in the wrong career
- Things I wish I'd known as a junior developer
- Create a Next.js RSS feed for your static website
- Using WordPress as a headless CMS with Next.js
Hmm...I still want to know more
Sure thing; you got it!
I got into computers (and video games) from an early age. Although I liked maths and science, computers were always my first love.
My first real job was in a school as a network technician, building machines for classrooms and looking after the general network infrastructure. From there, I found my way into the ambulance service, working as part of a team to manage and support the Yorkshire Ambulance Service IT infrastructure.
It was in the ambulance service where I fell into web development – it's more common of a starting story than you might think! I learnt asp.net – in it's original 2.0 flavour – using Visual Basic and moving onto C#.
After building a number of internal web systems, I found myself doing less infrastructure support and more development.
That was it for me, the defining moment where I knew I wanted to develop all the things! I moved into the commercial sector, moving around a few creative agencies and working with some super-talented people, hopefully learning as much from them along the way.
More recently, I co-founded a creative marketing agency and managed HubSpot campaigns for some local business heroes as well as some bigger players, such as North Yorkshire County Council. We even won some awards for our work!
Right now, I'm very excited to be working on a range of projects involving React and Node JS. I enjoy blogging, presenting at events (and sharing as much knowledge as I can), and learning something new every day.
Erm....not really. If you like rock music, I also play guitar and have some recordings kicking around on SoundCloud.