Koa / Vue.js SPA Template App
This app is a template application using Koa for a REST/JSON API server and Vue.js for a web client.
Overview of Stack
- Single-file components (.vue)
- Webpack for asset bundling and HMR (Hot Module Replacement)
- Bootstrap CSS
- Fetch API for REST requests
- MailHog for development email delivery
- Ansible playbook for provisioning (Nginx reverse proxy, SSL via Let's Encrypt, PostgresSQL backups to S3)
- Ansible playbook for deployment
- Install the following:
npm install && npm start
- Open browser and navigate to http://localhost:5000.
When first cloning the repo or adding new dependencies, run this command. This will:
- Install Node dependencies from package.json
To start the app for development, run this command. This will:
docker-compose upto ensure the PostgreSQL and MailHog Docker images are up and running
- Run dotnet watch run which will build the app (if changed), watch for changes and start the web server on http://localhost:5000
- Run Webpack dev middleware with HMR
npm run migration:create [name]
Creates a new migration file in api/db/migrations/. Migrations will be run each time the app starts (controlled with api/config/default.yml:autoMigrationsRun)
This will run the 2 test suites in test/.
- unit - The unit tests are located in test/unit/
- integration - The integration tests are located in test/integration/
npm run provision:production
Before running this script, you need to create an ops/config.yml file first. See the ops README for instructions.
This will run the ops/provision.yml Ansible playbook and provision hosts in ops/hosts inventory file. This prepares the hosts to recieve deployments by doing the following:
- Install Nginx
- Generate a SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt and configure Nginx to use it
- Install Node.js
- Install Supervisor (will run/manage the Node.js/Koa app)
- Install PostgreSQL
- Setup a cron job to automatically backup the PostgresSQL database, compress it, and upload it to S3.
- Setup UFW (firewall) to lock everything down except inbound SSH and web traffic
- Create a deploy user, directory for deployments and configure Nginx to serve from this directory
npm run deploy:production
Before running this script, you need to create a ops/config.yml file first. See the ops README for instructions.
This script will:
- Build release Webpack bundles
- Package the Koa application
- Run the ops/deploy.yml Ansible playbook to deploy this app to hosts in /ops/config.yml inventory file. This does the following:
- Copies the build assets to the remote host(s)
- Creates config/local-production.yml the
appsettings.jsonfile with PostgresSQL credentials specified in ops/hosts file and the app URL (needed for JWT tokens)
- Restarts the app so that changes will be picked up
Development Email Delivery
Visual Studio Code config
This project has Visual Studio Code tasks and debugger launch config located in .vscode/.
- Command+Shift+B - Runs the "build" task which builds the api/ project and outputs to api/build/
- Command+Shift+T - Runs the "test" task which runs the tests.
With the following debugger launch configs, you can set breakpoints and have full debugging support in Visual Studio Code
- Debug api/ - Runs api (Node.js/Koa app) app with the VSCode debugger
- Debug test/integration/ - Runs the integration test suite with the VSCode debugger
- Debug test/unit/ - Runs the unit test suite with the VSCode debugger