Swipe movies in Netflix like people on Tinder
Check out the demo video. It's a 20mb mp4 file and is slightly out of date from the current interface, so you may not want to check it out if you're on mobile.
Or you can try it out at http://flix.brentvatne.ca - it's not the prettiest on a large screen, resize it to be smaller and you'll be happier. If you're using an iPhone, login and then save the app to your home screen to get rid of the address bar.
Or you can just download it from the Google Play store.
Intended Target Platform
The intended target device is my testing device: Nexus 5 on Android Lollipop, but it works fine on most new phones I believe.
Are you an iOS developer?
I don't have an iOS developer account so I can't push this to the Apple Store, I would be great if someone could take charge of doing this and ensuring it meets the Apple guidelines. Any volunteers? firstname.lastname@example.org
The project is quite easy to set up thanks to Ionic's CLI.
- Make sure you have Node and Ionic Framework installed
- Clone the repo and run
npm installin the frontend directory
ionic platform add androidif you wish to test this on an Android device (this is the target platform)
- Add the inappbrowser plugin:
cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.inappbrowser
- To run a local webserver:
ionic serveor to run it on your device
ionic run android
There's a lot of low hanging fruit to improve on the front end, so feel free to pick something and submit a pull request or open an issue if you need a hand.
- Empty state: no movies found
- Loading indicators (first app load, fetching movies, fetching liked movies)
- Empty state: no liked movies (in list view)
- Offline mode (access saved list, but not new ones - download and cache images for saved movies?)
- Better list of liked movies with options to remove
- Unit and integration tests
- Detect region on first load rather than just defaulting to Canada
If you like this, you might also like Snaps - another quick Ionic project I built for creating a live photo feed through Firebase.
I also use a minimal wrapper around Facebook's
to use it in Angular and do away with some boilerplate, it's called
angular-flux-helpers on bower, or check out the repo on Github at
I made heavy use of ionic-ion-tinder-cards for this app.
Copyright (c) 2014-2015 Brent Vatne. See the LICENSE file for license rights and limitations (MIT).