My Kaby Lake Build
This guide a work in progress. Your setup depends on your hardware. Please refer to reddit.com/r/hackintosh or tonymacx86.com for help.
Adapted from CorpNewt's Skylake guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4pgfmn/does_my_build_look_okay/
Additional Kaby Lake support here:
What you need
8+ GB Flash drive - choose a good one, drive failure is real
Access to a Mac running macOS - or a VM with macOS
- Install macOS Sierra.app to
- Install macOS Sierra.app to
- FakeSMC.kext - to convince the OS you have a "real" mac
- IntelMausiEthernet.kext - LAN
- AppleALC.kext - onboard Audio
- Lilu.kext - Audio
- USBInjectAll.kext - to inject your USB ports - part 1 of the 15 port limit increase to 30
- FakePCIID.kext - for onboard kabylake graphics (also FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext)
- IntelGraphicsFixup.kext - for recent 10.12.5 Intel GPU update
HFSPlus.efi - better than the default VBoxHfs-64.efi
config.plist - from the Skylake Starter Guide - bare-bones config that we will build on or find mine in this repo
If you have a an NVIDIA GPU: NVIDIA Web Driver - to enable your GTX card - You must get the correct version for your macOS build version
Pre-install - do on your real Mac
Sierrafrom the App Store.
diskutil listto see which disk# your USB flash drive is. Then,
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX GPT JHFS+ "USB" 100%
but replace "X" with your disk #
- USB install creator - this is a script that does step 2 for you. I still prefer to do it manually.
sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume "/Volumes/USB" --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app" --nointeraction
sudo "/Users/Elk/Desktop/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume "/Volumes/USB2" --applicationpath "/Users/Elk/Desktop/Install macOS Sierra.app" --nointeraction
- Use edited
example-config.plist(some edits suggested by CorpNewt for Skylake build) and rename it to
config.plist. You will need to use Clover Configurator to add iMac 7,1 to the SMBIOS.
- Copy config to
EFIpartition and replace the default
/EFI/Clover/. Some key components of the config are highlighted in this Skylake guide, but they also work for Kaby Lake.
- Install Clover to USB with these options:
Install for UEFI booting only Install Clover in the ESP Drivers64-UEFI OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 PartitionDxe-64
- Add the following kexts to
USB setup is done. Make a folder called
Post_Install and drop everything we downloaded into this folder. Put the folder in the USB to be used on the hackintosh.
- BIOS: These are the suggested settings for Skylake mobo BIOS: BIOS Settings
Load Optimized Defaults If your BIOS has a VT-d setting, disable it If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it Set OS Type to Other OS Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled If you have a Serial port, disable it Make sure your BIOS time is accurate
Also, set the display to iGPU for onboard graphics or PCI for a GPU.
- Boot from the USB. You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS or choose the USB from the boot menu.
- In the Clover boot menu, select
Boot macOS from Install macOS Sierra.
- From within the macOS install, use Disk Utility to format your SSD as
Journaled HFS+with a
GUID Partition Table.
- Install macOS to the formatted drive. Note: Some installations are two parts and require a restart. Simply boot from the USB as you did before.
- Once installed, boot from the USB again but select macOS HFS drive.
- Walk through the setup. Once at the desktop, run the Clover installer package again with the same settings except this time you'll run the installer on the SSD.
- If you have a GPU, download the correct Web Driver for your build. This will require a reboot, but don't reboot yet. Make your
argumentsportion of the
config.plistread like this:
<key>Arguments</key> <string>dart=0 nvda_drv=1 -v</string>
- Add the kexts that you added to your flash drive's
EFIpartition to your new SSD's
- General Config - Clover Configure
- Graphics - change the following portion of the
<key>Graphics</key> <dict> <key>Inject</key> <dict> <key>ATI</key> <false/> <key>Intel</key> <true/> <key>NVidia</key> <false/> </dict> <key>NvidiaSingle</key> <false/> <key>ig-platform-id</key> <string>0x19160000</string> </dict>
I also had to add the
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext to improve the Intel graphics.
- Display - Follow instructions for Pixel Clock Patch and install SwitchResX for custom resolutions/refresh rate. You'll also need FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext along with the GFX spoof.
- Aux Audio - For Realtek ALC1220 audio, add
Lilu.kextto the EFI partition.
- Onboard HDMI Audio - No fix yet
- SSDT - use this script for power management here
- iMessage - this guide still works
- Bluetooth - I bought a BCM94352Z from a Chinese vendor on eBay, it's has support drivers and it fits nicely in the GA-H270-WIFI motherboard M.2 WiFi spot. Add
FakePCIID.kext(found here) to your EFI partition. Follow the advice here for editing the
config.plistfor full support.
- Automatically boot system drive - In
config.plistchange the boot argument.
<key>Boot</key> <dict> <key>DefaultVolume</key> <string>TARS</string> <key>Timeout</key> <integer>3</integer> </dict>
An integer timeout of
0 will not automatically boot the drive.