Campsite Availability Scraping
This is a simple script for scraping availability of campgrounds! The recreation.gov api doesn't reveal campsite availability, so this script spoofs a session through their search portal to allow programmatic polling of campsite availability.
It's currently hardcoded for yosemite, but with a bit of network sniffing you can reconfigure for other national parks.
List of campsites with availabilities on queried dates + links.
UPPER PINES, Booking Url: http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchInterface.do?interface=bookcamp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70925 LOWER PINES, Booking Url: http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchInterface.do?interface=bookcamp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70928 NORTH PINES, Booking Url: http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchInterface.do?interface=bookcamp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70927
pip install -r requirements.txt
python campsites.py --start_date 2015-04-24 --end_date 2015-04-25
Best use is to set a crontab on a ~5 minute interval (I've found that a 10-minute interval is too long because the campsites will be taken by the time I'm able to act on the alert).
campsites.sh demos a simple bash script wrapping the python script and opening a text file if results are found that could be set up to be triggered through cron.
Searching for parks other than Yosemite
Get LOCATION_PAYLOAD request data
- Use your preferred proxy or network analyzer to capture requests (Charles Proxy, Wireshark, etc)
- Visit recreation.gov in your browser
- Enter target park name - click the park in the prefilled Auto-suggest dropdown that appears
- Find logs for the POST request to www.recreation.gov/unifSearch.do
- Copy the REQUEST body params as JSON into the
- (keep the search results page open and continue to next section)
Whitelist campsites by id in PARKS dict
- From the list of campgrounds and attractions listed in the results for your park, choose the campgrounds you'd like to stay at
- For each campground you choose, copy the campground's link URL
- Grab the parkId URL param and add it as a key to the PARKS dict in
campsites.py, the value should be a human readable campground name.