Laptop is a set of scripts to get your laptop set up as a development machine.
Mac OS X
First, install GCC for OS X. (requires OS X 10.6 or higher) XCode will be installed.
Then, run this one-liner:
bash < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/crakalakin/laptop/master/mac)
Run this one-liner:
bash < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/crakalakin/laptop/master/ubuntu)
(From thoughtbot:) If you're setting up Ubuntu for one of our workshops, we recommend you also install gEdit for your text editor. You can customize it with these instructions.
What it sets up
- SSH public keys (for authenticating with services like Github and Heroku)
- Homebrew or apt-get (for managing operating system libraries)
- Postgres (for storing relational data)
- ImageMagick (for cropping and resizing images)
- RVM (for managing versions of the Ruby programming language)
- Ruby 1.9.2 stable (for writing general-purpose code)
- Bundler gem (for managing Ruby libraries)
- Rails gem (for writing web applications)
- Heroku gem (for interacting with the Heroku API)
- Taps gem (for pushing and pulling SQL databases between environments)
- Postgres gem (for making Ruby talk to SQL databases)
It should take about 30 minutes for everything to install, depending on your machine.