An experiment in playing collaborate online music, with the first step being karaoke, video style.
- If you don't already have it, get Firefox 4.0 RC1 or later
- Install the Mozilla Labs Rainbow add-on, v.0.3.1 or later.
If you're on Mac (Snow Leopard in particular), after you've installed Rainbow and restarted, quit Firefox again. Then, open Terminal.app, and type:
arch -i386 /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
If you have problems along the way, review the Rainbow README, as there can be gotchas, including:
Open a new tab, and into the navigation (URL) bar, type
If necessary, click on the "I'll be careful, I promise" button
- In the upper left corner of the page, in the filter text box, type "rainbow"
- Double-click on the "extensions.rainbow.allowedDomains"
At the beginning of the text field, right after the [ symbol, add
Click the OK button
The 'value' column of extensions.rainbow.allowedDomains should now read
Close the about:config tab
Check out the demo site
- The astute performer who "gets the band back together", will notice that the recordings of the instrumentalist and singer are currently out of sync; this is to due to a known issue in Rainbow
- If you're pulling a webm video file, be sure that your web server's mime.types file has the appropriate entry.