Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
1) Install a C compiler.
2) Set zsh as your login shell.
chsh -s /bin/zsh
Run the script:
zsh < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/brightbit/laptop/master/mac)
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Exuberant Ctags for indexing files for vim tab completion
- Heroku Config plugin for local ENV variables
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with Heroku apps
- Hub gem for interacting with the GitHub API
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries (OS X only)
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Postgres gem for talking to Postgres from Ruby
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- The Silver Searcher for finding things in files
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
- Watch for periodically executing a program and displaying the output
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Original script by thoughtbot at: thoughtbot/laptop.