Poca is a fast, multithreaded and highly customizable command line podcast client, written in Python 3. As of 1.0 all planned features have been implemented.
- Maximum amount. Specify how many episodes the subscription should get before deleting old episodes to make room for new ones.
- Override ID3/Vorbis metadata. If you want Savage Love to have Dan Savage in the artist field (rather than The Stranger), poca will automatically update the metadata upon download of each new episode. Or set genre to be overwritten by Podcast as a default.
- Filter a feed. Only want news reports in the morning or on Wednesdays? Use criteria such as filename and title, or the hour, weekday or date of publishing to filter what you want from a feed.
- Rename files automatically. Not all feeds have sensibly named media files. Specify a renaming template like date_title to know what you're dealing with or to get alphabetical ordering to match chronology.
- From the top. A latecomer to Serial or other audiobook style
from_the_topto get oldest episodes first, rather than the latest. To move on to later episodes simply delete old ones and poca will fill up with the next in line.
- Keeping track. Poca logs downloads and removals to a local file so you easily see what's changed. Or configure it with an SMTP server and get notified when a feed stops working.
- Manage your shows by editing an easy-to-understand xml file. Or use the accompanying tool to add, delete, sort them, or get info about their publishing frequency, average episode length and more.
Poca also: has excellent unicode support for feeds, filenames and tags, gets cover images for feeds, has the ability to spoof user agents, can pause your subscriptions, deals intelligently with interruptions, updates moved feeds (HTTP 301) automatically, and more.
All configuration is done in a single XML-format file. For cron job compatibility, Poca has a quiet mode in addition to normal and verbose.
You can install poca from pypi using
pip. Be mindful that poca is python 3 so use
pip3 install poca
If you are upgrading from any pre-1.0 release, please see this upgrade notice. To remove Poca simply do:
pip3 uninstall poca
- Python 3.4 or later
- Third-party modules:
- Pip will automatically install any one of these found missing
- A unicode capable terminal is recommended
[ ~ ] poca No config file found. Making one at /home/user/.poca/poca.xml. Please enter the full path for placing media files. Press Enter to use default (/home/user/poca): /tmp/poca ⚠ Default config succesfully written to /home/user/.poca/poca.xml. Please edit or run 'poca-subscribe' to add subscriptions. [ ~ ] poca-subscribe add Url of subscription: http://crateandcrowbar.com/feed/ Author: The Crate and Crowbar PUBLISHED / 5 WEEKS Title: The Crate and Crowbar Last episode: Episode 216: Videocrates Crowdog ▮ Published: 24 Nov 2017 ▮ ▮ ▮ Avg. size of episode: 52 Mb ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ Avg. length of episode: 1h 52m M T W T F S S Title of subscription: (Enter to use feed title) Maximum number of files in subscription: (integer/Enter to skip) 5 Get earliest entries first: (yes/no/Enter to skip) no Category for subscription (Enter to skip): gaming To add metadata, rename or filters settings, please edit poca.xml [ ~ ] poca --verbose THE CRATE AND CROWBAR. 5 ➕ ⇵ CCEp214.mp3 [56 Mb] ⇵ LGCEp004.mp3 [35 Mb] ⇵ CCEp215.mp3 [61 Mb] ...