At its most basic level the Browser Capabilities Project (also known as browscap or BCP) maintains and offers free downloads of a browscap.ini file.
Browscap.ini is, as the filename might indicate, a browser capabilities database. It's essentially a list of all known browsers and bots, along with their default capabilities and limitations.
The combination of functions built into web scripting languages like PHP and ASP, plus the browscap.ini itself provides a way to more easily customize content for a specific visitor's web browser. Not everyone uses the same browser, and not all browsers behave the same way, but by using this combination you can create web pages that adapt to the default capabilities of most web browsers.
- Using Browscap
- How to contribute
- Resource: User Agents Database
- Resource: Platforms Database
- Resource: Engines Database
- Resource: Device Database
- Resource: Browser Database
- Specification: Patterns
- Specification: Lookup Algorithm
- Public Release Procedure
- Unit & Integration Testing
Browscap Tool Commands
- Build Command - used to build the various generated files