Pin Board - a clone of the famous Pinterest
This app was created under the tutorial 12 web apps in 12 weeks by Mackenzie Child (@mackenziechild). This is the number 4 of the series but I'm not doing in exact order, I choose according with my curiosity and needs.
- It will have pins images
- Title and description
- Users have to be signed to be able:
- submit a new pin
- as well as edit and delete a pin
- Page is responsive
What have I learned:
Even though I discovered how to implement a picture uploader by Googling and using Carrierwave gem when I created my own blog, I wanted to see how Mackenzie Child would do his. So in this case he used paperclip which seems a bit simpler than the Carrierwave. Also in this project, I've learned how to use masonry-rails which is a quite helpful gem to apply transitions and other jquery functions. Creating an app is not difficult. It requitres a series of actions that once you get it, everything becomes clearer.
To add a feature:
- Create a git branch named that feature
- Add the gem or generate any models needed for the feature
- Read the documentation of the gem and/or update the database
- Generate any controllers needed
- Add in your URLs
- Fill in your models
- Fill in your controllers and views
- Finish feature, save and merge with master branch
- Think of new feature and start from step 1 again
I'm trying to learn best practices now.