Quantum mechanics popularisation project UB
- QuantumlabUB is a project build by undergraduate students in Physics from the University of Barcelona. The main goals of the project are:
Develop applications to popularise aspects of quantum mechanics for broader audiences.
The applications should be realistic quantum mechanical problems, thus they involve the numerical solution of the Schrodinger equation in different setups.
The coding is done under the github platform. Weekly meetings ensure crosscollaboration between the students and constant feedback on the goals.
- The project has been initiated by Daniel Allepuz and Jan Albert Iglesias in Feb 2018 under the supervision of Prof. Muntsa Guilleumas and Bruno Julia Diaz from the department of Quantum Physics and Astrophysics of the University of Barcelona. It is work done under the subject Practicas de Empresa.
Currently (May 2019) we have several separate modules in two different directories:
- clavsqua.py, which solves the evolution of a gaussian wave packet on a configurable external trap in one dimension.
- doubleslit.py, which solves the 2D time dependent Schrodinger equation with a configurable grid of slits.
- piecewise.py, is a game where you have to design the trapping potential for a particle in 1D in such a way that the probability density reaches target values chosen at random.
- collision_bright_solitons.py, allows you to play with two bright solitons with different velocities and properties in 1D Gross-Pitaevskii equation
CCCB version, Feb 2019
We have developed two simpler versions of ClavsQua and doubleslit for the Quantica exhibit at CCCB (2019), http://www.cccb.org/ca/exposicions/fitxa/quantica/230323
They are in the directory CCCB.
The code is developed in python3 using the kivy.
We have installed it recently with the following sequence.
First install the latest version of Anaconda and add it to path.
open the Anaconda Prompt
conda create -n clavsqua_env python=3.6.3
pip install numpy==1.14.0
pip install matplotlib==2.1.2
pip install Kivy==1.10.0
pip install Kivy-Garden==0.1.4
pip install kivy.deps.glew==0.1.9
pip install kivy.deps.gstreamer==0.1.12
pip install kivy.deps.sdl2==0.1.17
garden install matplotlib
pip install numba
pip install scipy
Any comment or suggestions are more than welcome, email@example.com
Check the website https://github.com/brunojulia/quantumlabUB