RightScripts for RightScale's RightLink10 agent used in the Base ServerTemplates and beyond.
This repository contains the collection of RightScripts used in ServerTemplates that go with
the new RightLink10 agent. The scripts for the base Linux ServerTemplate are in the
rll subdirectory, and the scripts for the base Windows ServerTemplate are in the
subdirectory. Additional RightScripts are also in
RightScript has a comment header providing metadata info in YAML format with the following
Inputs. These headers will be used
to populate these fields when uploaded to the RightScale platform as RightScripts.
How it Works
The directory structure is kept simple, having Linux RightScripts in the
directories and Windows RightScripts in the
rlw-examples directories. The naming of
the scripts in this repository is also done for simplicity. The RightScript name that is to be
shown in the RightScale dashboard should be under the
RightScript Name field in the YAML
formatted comment header, described earlier.
In order to modify a script in this repo and update the matching RightScript, a few steps will need to be done.
The following setup should only need to be done once to setup the development environment:
- In the RightScale dashboard, import the official RightLink 10.X.X Linux Base or RightLink 10.X.X Windows Base ServerTemplate into your account. This will also import the RightScripts.
- While still in the RightScale dashboard, clone the imported ServerTemplate, allowing changes to be made to the HEAD revision.
- Fork this repo on github and clone the fork to your workstation.
- Create a branch (or use master, your choice).
- Install and configure right_st for your platform somewhere that is in your
These next steps are the suggested workflow:
- Make a change and
git committhe change
right_st rightscript upload path/to/scriptto update the HEAD revision of the RightScript. Remember, the name of the RightScript to update should be provided under
RightScript Namein the YAML formatted header.
right_st rightscript upload rll/enable-monitoring.sh
- Verify the HEAD revision of the RightScript has been synced with your git commit and is identical.
RightScale Release Process
The release steps for the Linux and Windows Base ServerTemplate at RightScale are as follows:
- Check out the rightlink_scripts repo
- Create release branch:
git checkout -b 10.2.0(use appropriate branch name to match release)
right_st rightscript upload path/to/scriptfor each script to be released with the ServerTemplate and commit any of these updated RightScripts.
- In the RightScale Dashboard, update the ServerTemplates with the new RightScript revisions created from the previous step.
- Check the MCIs on the HEAD revision of the ServerTemplates for the correct tags of the current RightLink release.
- Rename the ServerTemplate and edit the description to match the name of the RightLink release.
- Commit and publish ST