Minimum Supported Rust Version (MSRV):
orion is always tested with the latest stable and nightly Rust versions.
Continuous Integration (CI):
The entire test suite is run with Travis CI using latest stable and nightly Rust. On nightly Rust (with the
nightly feature both enabled and not), all tests (except for doctests) are run with AddressSanitizer(with ODR violation detection disabled) and LeakSanitizer.
For LeakSanitizer to be more effective, the
opt-level for tests are set to
[profile.dev]. MemorySanitizer and ThreadSanitizer are not included when testing. See rust-san for more information.
orion is also tested with targets:
thumbv7em-none-eabihf(to ensure building as
i686-pc-windows-msvc(Windows, Visual Studio 2017)
x86_64-pc-windows-msvc(Windows, Visual Studio 2017)
On stable Rust, cargo-audit is used to check for dependencies with reported vulnerabilities.
Official test vectors:
- HMAC: RFC 4231. NIST CAVP test vectors.
- cSHAKE: KeccakCodePackage.
- ChaCha20: RFC 8439.
- Poly1305: RFC 8439.
- ChaCha20Poly1305: RFC 8439.
- BLAKE2b: KAT test vectors. OpenSSL test vectors.
- SHA512: NIST CAVP test vectors.
Custom test vectors:
- PBKDF2: These test vectors have been generated with the cryptography.io Python package. More information here.
- HKDF: Test vectors from here. Other test vectors from here.
Other test vectors:
- Poly1305: Monocypher test vectors. BoringSSL test vectors.
- ChaCha20: BoringSSL test vectors.
- ChaCha20Poly1305: BoringSSL test vectors. Wycheproof test vectors.
- HChaCha20: Monocypher test vectors.
- XChaCha20: draft RFC test vectors.
- XChaCha20Poly1305: sodiumoxide test vectors. BoringSSL test vectors.
Fuzzing is done both to detect unwanted behavior but also verify results. Below is a list of other libraries that are used to cross-check the results that orion produces:
- HMAC: ring.
- HKDF: ring.
- PBKDF2: ring.
- Poly1305: sodiumoxide (binding to libsodium).
- ChaCha20: chacha.
- ChaCha20Poly1305: sodiumoxide (binding to libsodium).
- HChaCha20: None currently.
- XChaCha20: chacha.
- XChaCha20Poly1305: sodiumoxide (binding to libsodium).
- BLAKE2b: blake2-rfc.
- SHA512: ring.