matdaemon powers MatDaemon.com - Plots as a Service. Powered by Matplotlib, Tornado and MongoDB.
Matplotlib is a kick-ass plotting library that has more plots than you can shake a stick at.
(There is always a but.)
Using Matplotlib in a hurry (or in anger) is not always easy.
- Installing matplotlib is not for the faint of heart.
- The library is not obvious. Why a "show()"?
Apart from the small niggles, there are some features that we really use on the web:
- Can I name a 'style' of chart and reuse it again?
- Maybe I can share the chart type with others and let them use it with their own data.
- Can I have this chart in
- Can I have an API using which I can generate plots dynamically?
- Can I cache these plots so that I can embed them in a webpage to show stats etc?
The goal of MatDaemon.com is to do be able to all this over time.
- Matplotlib -- Duh! (for generating plots)
- Tornado -- web application
The app is likely to be deployed on Redhat's OpenShift PaaS cloud.
I have not decided on a license yet, but it is likely to be a permissive Open Source license.