I am an assistant professor of higher education and policy at the University of Florida. As a researcher, I have an interest in applying all things data science to higher education policy research. I teach a number of classes, including one to introduce quantitative workflow using R for PhD/EdD students.
- [R] rscorecard: R wrapper for U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard Data API
- [R] crosswalkr: Rename and encode variables using external crosswalk files
- [R] duawranglr: R Package to Securely Wrangle Dataset According to Data Usage Agreement
- [R] distRcpp: Compute Geodesic Distance and Distance-Weighted Measures Using Rcpp
- [Python] grm: GitHub CLI classroom manager
Course/lessons focused on coding/quantitative research
- [R] EDH7916: Contemporary research in higher education
- [R] Workshop on R
- [Stata] LPO9951: PhD student research practicum
Each paper is linked in the repository README or on my webpage (contact me if you need access)
- Skinner, B.T., Burtch, T., and Levy, H. (2022) Variation in broadband access among undergraduate populations across the United States. Annenberg Institute at Brown University (EdWorkingPaper: 22-667)
- Skinner, B.T., Levy, H., and Burtch, T. (2021) Digital redlining: the relevance of 20th century housing policy to 21st century broadband access and education. Annenberg Institute at Brown University (EdWorkingPaper: 21-471)
- Skinner, B.T. & Doyle, W.R. (2022) Predicting postsecondary attendance by family income in the United States using multilevel regression with poststratification. SSRN
- Ortagus, J.C., Skinner, B.T. & Tanner, M. (2021). Investigating Why Academically Successful Community College Students Leave College Without a Degree. AERA Open, 7(1), 1-17.
- Skinner, B.T. & Doyle, W.R. (2021). Are civic returns to higher education different across subpopulations? An analysis using propensity forests. Journal of Education Finance, 46(4), 519–562.
- Skinner, B.T. (2019). Making the connection: Broadband access and online course enrollment at public open admissions institutions. Research in Higher Education, 60(7), 960–999.
- Skinner, B.T. (2019). Choosing College in the 2000s: An Updated Analysis Using the Conditional Logistic Choice Model. Research in Higher Education, 60(2), 153–183.
- Doyle, W.R., & Skinner, B.T. (2017). Does Postsecondary Education Result in Civic Benefits? The Journal of Higher Education, 88(6), 863–893.
- Doyle, W.R., & Skinner, B.T. (2016). Estimating the education-earnings equation using geographic variation. Economics of Education Review, 53, 254–267
- Pronouns: he/him/his
- Contact: btskinner <at> coe <dot> ufl <dot> edu or btskinner on Twitter
- Website: btskinner.io