This is the fourth beta release of the Cloud Native Buildpack Lifecycle. This implementation should be relatively stable and reliable, but breaking changes in the underlying specification may be implemented without notice.
NOTICE: This release contains breaking changes for buildpacks. See below.
The lifecycle runs as a normal user in a series of unprivileged Linux containers. To export images and cache image layers, it requires access to a Docker daemon or Docker registry.
Notice of Breaking Changes
This release contains breaking changes for buildpacks. While the latest version of the pack CLI remains compatible with this release, any buildpacks that ship with the release will need to be updated to match the following specification changes:
- Update lifecycle archive format (#172).
- Update lifecycle paths to match spec (#169).
- Add launcher metadata to images (#160).
- Add correct buildpack metadata to images (#157).
- For image-based caching, use registry instead of daemon (#158).
- Add Bill-of-Materials to image metadata (#156).
-versionflag to lifecycle binaries (excluding launcher) (#151).
lifecycle.tomlcontaining supported contract versions to lifecycle bundle (#167).
- Refine interpretation of buildpack-provided env vars (#147).
- Load user-provided env vars by default (can disable via
- Implement distribution specification (#154, #149).
- Implement contractual build plan (#149).
- Add support for bashless/scratch run images (#148).