The Urlist - Backend
The backend for this project was built as a serverless API using Azure Functions and .NET. All the data is stored in a Cosmos DB collection using the SQL API.
Build and run the backend locally
Get the prerequisites
- Install the Azure Functions Core tools for your operating system
- Install the .NET Core SDK. This repo is pinned to use version 2.2.x of the SDK.
- Install Visual Studio Code or Visual Studio Community edition
- Install the C# extension for Visual Studio Code
- Install the Azure Functions for VS Code extension
- Install Postman
Run the serverless backend
Navigate into backend folder
Build the project
local.settings.sample.json file to
Linux & MacOS
mv local.settings.sample.json local.settings.json
Windows command line
REN local.settings.sample.json local.settings.json
local.settings.json file with your Application Insights key to the
APPINSIGHTS_INSTRUMENTATIONKEY setting. You could also just remove this if you don't want to use Application Inisghts.
Create an a Cosmos DB instance in Azure using the SQL API. Update the
local.settings.json file with your Cosmos DB connection string in the
Start the function via the command line
Alternatively, start a debuging session in
Visual Studio or
Visual Studio Code.
Try out the API with Postman
- Start up Postman and import the
theurlist_collection.jsonfile that's in the
- Next import the
theurlist_localhost_env.jsonfile. That includes the Localhost environment settings.
- Set your environment to
Save Bundleto add some data to Cosmos DB. Next run
Get bundle for vanity urlto retrieve the entry you just created.
If everything was setup correctly, your should see a response that resembles the following.