OpenXeen is a mod for Might and Magic IV & V - World of Xeen (WOX), programmed by duuckman (Dr Warren Creemers). It is a game engine rewrite in java designed to make MaM gaming more available.
News: Back from 6 months hiatus on this project.
- Wiki: here
- Development Blog: here
- State of openXeen features
- Interested in contributing
- Xeen development related links
- My blog
Unfortunately, MaM is not abandonware - you (still) need to purchase a copy to play the full version of WOX legally. This mod aims to bundle the shareware version, but I recommend finding a full CD (talkie) version on ebay.
The game mechanics, and engine, are based on things I would have liked to see done differently: - Less save/restore loops for potions/barrels/treasure chests. - Better inventory at stores. - More money in the later part of the game. - Monster respawn. - Bat animation relative to level of danger. - Item stats just printed/explained. - Restrictions on when you can save/load games. - One open map, not divided into regions. - Bigger 3d view window
NB: OpenXeen is programmed in java because I needed a project to "freshen" up my java skills and learn java 8. No other reason.
- Software is not ready for release.
- At the moment it can:
- Parse the cc files and open some graphics and audio files
- Parse some map info
- Create proxies of all files in cc files.
- Display a simple rendering of some xeen components. NB: First run will take some time, proxy files are being created.
- xeen.wikia.org - So so much work on the MaM file formats
- Ben - Sharing a passion for reverse engineering xeen
- Elliot Kroo - GifSequenceWriter.java
- Hyllian - xBR algorithm
And a shout-out to the Xeen community on faceook, [https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdventurersOfXeen/]. It was great sharing a love of MaM games with you guys.