Clone this wiki locally
EAN-8 is derived from the EAN-13 barcode symbology and is designed for small packaging. It usually carries a GTIN-8.
Also known as: UCC-8, JAN-8.
- EAN-8+2 is an extension of EAN-8 that includes a two-digit add-on.
- EAN-8+5 is an extension of EAN-8 that includes a five-digit add-on.
- EAN-Velocity is a special form of EAN-8 starting with
0that is used for in-store coupons.
- EAN-13 is a longer variant of EAN-8 which has a distinct number system based on GTIN-13.
- EAN-8 Composite is a variant of EAN-8 that should be used when a CC-A or CC-B GS1 composite 2D component is required.
Standards: ISO/IEC 15420, BS EN 797, GS1 General Specifications.
Data and Options
- The data field takes either seven or eight digits, optionally followed by a space then two or five digits if an EAN-2 or EAN-5 add-on is required.
- If seven digits of primary data are supplied then the check digit is calculated automatically. Otherwise the provided check digit must be correct.
- The includetext option should normally be supplied.
- The guardwhitespace option enables the display of white space guard marks.
Identical symbols, input provided with and without a check digit:
Data: 01335583 Options: includetext Encoder: ean8
Data: 0133558 Options: includetext Encoder: ean8
Truncated with white space guards:
Data: 01335583 Options: includetext height=0.5 guardwhitespace Encoder: ean8