A small django application for marketing using referral links
Imagine you got a nice website running and you want to make some marketing in order to gain more users. This can be achieved by spreading links/banners over the internet pointing to your website. Now in order to find out how your banners performed you need to know how many users registered after clicking on one of your banners. To tell them apart you add some unique GET parameter to each link. This app will detect those referral parameters and store for each user what referrer lead him to your website.
- Manual and automatic referrer generation.
- Referrer organisation in campaigns.
- Automatic associating of referrers with campaigns using patterns.
- Referrers will be cached in sessions, so when a user first browses your site and does not immediately register the referrer will be cached and assigned when the user finally decides to register. That way you can link to any site and not necessarily a register page.
- Very easy integration.
- Completely configurable to your needs.
- Django-south support
- No dependencies
- 100% Test coverage
pip install django-referral
INSTALLED_APPS = ( ... 'referral', ... )
Since django-referral uses django's session middleware make sure you add it after SessionMiddleware
MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = ( ... 'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware', 'referral.middleware.ReferrerMiddleware', ... )
from referral.models import UserReferrer ... def my_user_creation_view(request): ... UserReferrer.objects.apply_referrer(user, request)
The name of the GET parameter used.
The name of the session key that will hold the detected referrer
Defines weather unknown referrers shall be autocreated
Defines weather referrest should be associated to campaigns automatically using patterns
Just run the makefile to set up a virtual environment for testing
Start the test runner